topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recommend a Free simple Database program for Windows XP  (Read 15509 times)

pschroeter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recommend a Free simple Database program for Windows XP
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:41 PM »
My CD music database started out many years ago on a Mac in Filemaker Pro 2, moved to Provue Panorama, then when I came over to Windows wound up in Microsoft Works.

All the talk of SQL gives me a headache and I probably don't even need a relational database. I'm trying to avoid the extra apps and the size of downloading Open Office or Libre Office, which usually get recommended. I would like a list view and record view. The main reason I don't just use a Microsoft Word (2002) table is there is no way to filter the table and perform queries.

I posted this question on Yahoo Answers and all I got is recommendations for MySQL, Server Express, the type of database programs that are too complex for me to understand.

I have since installed LibreOffice, but there was no way to import my data into Base without it being read-only. I also just can't figure it out. A program called Glom looked promising, promising to be like Filemaker, but I couldn't get it to work.

I just find it hard to believe there isn't something free and open source which is a bit better than Microsoft Works and more like Filemaker.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend a Free simple Database program for Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Have you looked at SnapDB?  For simple stuff, it works really well IMO.  It's only flat files/single table- but for cataloging sometimes that's all that's required...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:41 AM »
And if SnapDB is a bit too simple/limited (though quite useful in itself), then maybe DataCrow could be of your liking?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:19 AM »
Hi,

You really have to decide whether any relations are needed.  ListPro is possible, flat-file, it has a limit of about 30 fields to a file.  

For heftier stuff, maybe there are discounts on older Filemakers but it might be hard to justify for a limited app.

============================

I don't think it is that MYSQL etc are complicated per se, it is that:

1) they think in terms of server-client, which is unnecessary. Technically an app could probably do that transparently using local host giving a sort of equivalent to the .dbf .fp7 etc files.  (experts, your comments ?)

I am curious if there is any real, innate difference.  When a program like Alpha 5 runs on an MYSQL file instead of DBF or something else .. what is the actual difference in your puters functioning ?  MYSQL is able to have relations and structures built-in, but it could also simply be used as flat file(s) with optionally simple index relationships, afaik (which presumably are some type of join). And does your program have to actually work through a server traffic cop ?  Does anything prevent it from being simply accessed directly.

2) they have not built much in terms of Listpro and Filemaker type ease-of-use products, being more involved in small programs like Navicat "administration", thinking that you are concerned about a web-site in far-off cloud land.  And trying to integrate with PHP and other web languages in fair to middling development tools that have no relevance to a local database.

What I may be saying is that the problem is more historical than structural.  And programs like Filemaker and Alpha will possibly work directly on MYSQL (and maybe other similar databases).

Just throwing out some thoughts.  This has puzzled me for awhile, since I have not done much in that SQL database realm.

Steven
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:36 AM by Steven Avery »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16 AM »
I posted this question on Yahoo Answers and all I got is recommendations for MySQL, Server Express, the type of database programs that are too complex for me to understand.

Those are totally overkill.

What you *could* do is search for a front end to one of those that does what you want...

I have since installed LibreOffice, but there was no way to import my data into Base without it being read-only. I also just can't figure it out.

Most databases will let you export data, and choose the format. If you can export as a CSV or tab delimited file, then you're pretty much golden to import that to other databases.

But you have some good recommendations from others above.

Hope all goes well for you there.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57 PM »
The main reason I don't just use a Microsoft Word (2002) table is there is no way to filter the table and perform queries.
If a "filterable and queriable" Word table would do the job, then why not use Excel?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:32 PM »
The main reason I don't just use a Microsoft Word (2002) table is there is no way to filter the table and perform queries.
If a "filterable and queriable" Word table would do the job, then why not use Excel?

Excel is pretty clunky. You could do some basic stuff in it, but it's still a spreadsheet and not a database, so you end up with something that's easy to create, but clunky to use, and long term, likely more of a stumbling block when the database grows in size.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48 PM »
Sounded like basic stuff was all that was required.  If the level of functionality required would be met by a Word table that one could filter and query, a database manager might be overkill.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56 PM »
Sounded like basic stuff was all that was required.  If the level of functionality required would be met by a Word table that one could filter and query, a database manager might be overkill.

+1 - I think we're a bit short on detail to make any sort of worthwhile recommendations

the requirement for a DB might be justified if the OP was doing lots of complex filtering and/or analysis (though I can't imagine what or why), but otherwise it's more like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

there are also plenty of cataloguing suites around that would probably fill the bill without building a custom solution