ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

restart router after few minutes of inactivity

<< < (3/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
You may have the router set up to disconnect on inactivity - you need to check out the idle time in the DSL connection settings and set it to never disconnect (usually if it is done by time just put 0)

kalos:
You may have the router set up to disconnect on inactivity - you need to check out the idle time in the DSL connection settings and set it to never disconnect (usually if it is done by time just put 0)
-Carol Haynes (April 02, 2012, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

this cannot be done, because I want it always on (I may connect via my cell phone)

I just want it to reboot after x minutes of inactivity, so that the line will refresh and errors will be refreshed

Carol Haynes:
my router is Pirelli (not sure which model)

it does have a way to reboot, by visiting http://router.ip/cgi-bin/restart.exe, I think

I never do bittorrent

so, I guess I can visit the above address every x minutes of inactivity? any hint how to do that?
-kalos (April 02, 2012, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is usually a setting in the router that sets the time limit an admin can be logged in to the router settings before you are automatically logged out again. Set that to a very large number then open the reset.exe page regularly.

You can probably automate this with Firefox as there is a plugin the does refresh page after so many minutes so just load the restart page and left the REfresh After addon in firefox reset your router after every so many minutes.

It probably won't be very convenient because restarting you router will add regular delays in internet access as each restart can take a couple of minutes.

I would suggest your best bet would be to argue with your telephone provider and/or ISP to get the problem resolved or find a better way to connect to broadband that works properly.

AndyM:
is there a software to restart/reset my router after few minutes of inactivity?
...-kalos (April 01, 2012, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
When you say "inactivity", your goal is to have the reset happen when you are not working and would therefore not be inconvenienced by a reset?

kalos:
is there a software to restart/reset my router after few minutes of inactivity?
...-kalos (April 01, 2012, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
When you say "inactivity", your goal is to have the reset happen when you are not working and would therefore not be inconvenienced by a reset?
-AndyM (April 02, 2012, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

yup
reset after 30 minutes of inactivity will rarely cause problems, because being inactive for that long, will probably mean that I am afk
when I return to keyboard, it will be much more probable to be in the time between two resets, so the internet connection will be operational and already refreshed

firefox trick would work, autohotkey would probably do it better (without me having firefox always on), the problem is how to detect inactivity

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version