topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SSC 3.03 hangs on some screen capture attempts  (Read 5555 times)

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SSC 3.03 hangs on some screen capture attempts
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:36 PM »
In Vista hm prem x64, sometimes if I attempt a screen capture (say, selected region) & decide that the region selected wasn't correct, there doesn't seem to be a way to exit the selection mode.  It also happens in scrolling capture mode.  If the capture method doesn't work or you want to back out, sometimes the tray icon remains red & allows no other actions - just hangs.  Only way I can then get function back is close / restart SSC.

Shouldn't there be a way to cancel any screen selection before taking a shot (may be one I don't know) & have the key seq listed in the screen shot methods on the menu?

Slightly off subject, but I've never read / found a way to just "clear" the image in the editor screen - whether or not any changes were made.

If it's an image stored as thumbnail & I load it into editor, there's no easy way to simply clear the screen.  Yes, if I select another image from thumbnail pane, it replaces current one.  But if I want to import / open an image from disk w/ SSC, while there's already an image in the editor screen, it doesn't replace the existing image.  If I select the entire image / object, there doesn't seem to be a way to delete it, clear, escape, etc.  "Clear Screen" seems like a simple concept.  C:\>CS  :)

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SSC 3.03 hangs on some screen capture attempts
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Firs thing first, if you do a selected region capture, pressing ESCAPE should cancel it.  If you ever encounter a case where ESCAPE does not cancel -- let me know and see if you can pinpoint something unusual about the circumstance -- like maybe a specific program running which might be intercepting keystrokes?

I see your point about wanting to clear the current image.. it's true there isn't really a way to do it -- mostly because there isn't much point to it -- anything you might want to do you can do whether there is an image showing or not.  At least that is what I believe, but this seems to contradict that:
But if I want to import / open an image from disk w/ SSC, while there's already an image in the editor screen, it doesn't replace the existing image.

Can you elaborate on this?

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Will do on watching when escape doesn't work.

Clearing current image from edit screen:  Aside from I've never seen a prgm w/ editing (images, text, etc.) that didn't have ability to clear screen, at least one case I've seen where it's a problem (or maybe it's me).

Attached image shows one image that was already in editor window.  There's no way to clear the screen (to blank) except restart SSC, AFAIK.  If then want to open an image from disk, by "Open With" (maybe previous SSC saved file, or not), it just overlays the new opened image over existing image in editor screen.  In some cases, as this one, the new image just overlayed can't be selected & removed.

There are options in the Move To menu, to Delete Current Image, but I've rarely gotten it to work, even when image in editor is selected (like via Ctrl + A).  Clicking Delete Current Image does nothing for me (often), even if image shows it's selected.

In the main Objects menu, there's Delete Object, but it's always grayed out, even if an entire image is selected.  Maybe it use to work, but the feature was taken out & menu never updated.  Just seems like for some tasks, would be simpler to have a Delete Object or Delete Image selection / button.  Or once an object is selected, R click it (as in many editing prgms) & have options like Del, Copy, Resize, Rotate - many others.

Sure, there are buttons on the sidebar & even hotkeys for some things, but most apps have a fair amt of functions avail. just by R clicking a page or image, etc.  Unless one uses a prgm a LOT, they probably don't remember hot keys from (easily) 20 diff apps.  I certainly can't.

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Following up on clearing / blanking SSC editing screen.  As I said, don't see a way to completely clear / blank / delete / erase the current image in the main editing screen, w/o also deleting the file from disk (once already saved).

If you've saved a captured image to disk, edited or not, then select the remaining image & click red 'X', it gives the attached warning.  After a file has been saved to disk, & then want to del the image from the editing screen, why should the default (& ONLY) option be to del the SAVED image from disk & send to recycle bin?

If captured image has NOT been saved to disk & click red 'X', it just deletes the image (gives blank screen) as would be expected. 

Don't think I've ever seen any prgm, that once the current file has been saved, that then clearing the current screen wants to ALSO del the file from disk???  Why, if the file has already been saved, would selecting an object on the editing screen want to delete the saved file from disk (unless there's a "Delete Saved File option)?  Why not just allow "delete the object", or "clear screen"?
I see your point about wanting to clear the current image.. it's true there isn't really a way to do it -- mostly because there isn't much point to it -- anything you might want to do you can do whether there is an image showing or not.  At least that is what I believe, but this seems to contradict that:

But if I want to import / open an image from disk w/ SSC, while there's already an image in the editor screen, it doesn't replace the existing image.

Can you elaborate on this?
I did elaborate on it, but no reply.  Not being able to clear the editing screen doesn't always work, as I described.
After saving a capture to disk, then try to clear the object (get a blank screen), if click the red 'X', attached image is the message you get.  Appears to be no way around it & behavior makes no sense.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:18 PM by cathie28 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:53 PM »
SSC doesn't really have a concept of CLEARING the window -- it always wants to show the last selected/captured screenshot.
I understand that that might seem a bit counter-intuitive, but I can't think of a reason why one would benefit from clearing the window.
But I'm open to being convinced that it should, if someone has a real reason why such a feature would be useful within SC.

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:41 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, I know it doesn't have concept of clearing window.
I can't think of a reason why one would benefit from clearing the window
I already explained how not being able to clear the window doesn't work (for me):
If then want to open an image from disk, by "Open With" (maybe previous SSC saved file, or not), it just overlays the new opened image over existing image in editor screen.  In some cases, as this one, the new image just overlayed can't be selected & removed.

See the image results, a few replies up, where a new image was opened from disk, when there was already an image in the editor screen.  It just overlays the new opened image over existing one.

If you can't clear the screen & new images opened  from disk just overlay the existing image, what are you supposed to do?

Aside from that, why would having "clear screen" / delete image be useful (with OUT also deleting the saved file from disk - that makes NO sense to me)?  I guess because it's simpler - which is why every graphic editor I can remember has a way to del / clear entire screen (or select the image, then del).

I also don't remember any software that once an image / photo has been saved to disk from editing screen, that insists on deleting the saved file if you then want to del the image from editor screen - after the image has been saved (as SSC does, if save a file, then click red 'X' at top of toolbar).  That makes no sense. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:46 PM »
See the image results, a few replies up, where a new image was opened from disk, when there was already an image in the editor screen.  It just overlays the new opened image over existing one.

ok well that sounds like a bug, let me fix that first if i can reproduce it.