ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Those "Boy's Own" type comics from the 40's & 50's

(1/4) > >>

timns:
Anyone remember them? Always written in a slightly breathless, "gosh, cor, super!" tone.

Fun Facts from an edition of the time:

"Space researchers in the United States (a large country on the other side of our Atlantic Ocean) believe they may one day be able to visit the Moon! One scientist at NASA (the National Association of Space Americans) told us, “we fully believe we can get a man safely to the moon; maybe back too. The moon is an incredibly inhospitable environment. Our boys will probably have to wear specially designed protective clothing to protect them in the cold, thin air.”

We expect this includes sweaters knitted in a special air-tight pattern, and hats with extra insulation to keep out the solar wind.

The moon is actually quite large, appearing small to us here on Earth simply because it is so far away; possibly as far as 150 miles or more.

In fact the moon may be several miles across. Meteorites have been striking its surface for hundreds of years, giving the moon its distinctive appearance, and if they ever manage to land there, astronautical personnel expect to have to dig several inches into the debris to reach the actual surface of the moon and obtain samples of the various types of cheese."

cranioscopical:
Anyone remember them?
-timns (April 01, 2012, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not going to incriminate myself  ;D

timns:
Not sure what the average age is here on DC, but I bet I'm skewing it  :-[

barney:
Not quite the same, but I was really happy with Boy's Life.

And, unlike sir cranio, I'm not bashful about dating myself  :P :P :P.

Oh, yeah, also was an avid reader of the subject mags whenever I got the chance  :Thmbsup:.

cranioscopical:
unlike sir cranio, I'm not bashful about dating myself
-barney (April 01, 2012, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't give a fig!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version