ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: Text Editor just for text (stay with me)

<< < (5/7) > >>

nudone:
welcome, rand1038. nice avatar.

f0dder:
I couldn't really get accustomed to LyX... IMHO it falls short between a wysiwyg editor and full TeX power - it just doesn't feel right.

rjbull:
WinMerge has no problem, though it does take a couple minutes to do the compare, which is no surprise.
-rand1038 (October 09, 2006, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's Keith Devens on Differencing Programs:

Often a life saver for a programmer. Beyond Compare (version 2) and Examdiff Pro are comparable, and both are reasonably priced. CSDiff has a unique view that will let you view differences inline, which makes it worth having even if you buy any of the others. WinMerge is decent, but go with pretty much any of the others instead of it.
    *    Windiff - Free, comes with Windows. It's probably on your Windows CD, but you can download it here.
    *    Araxis Merge - The best one I've ever seen (by far), but it's not cheap.
    *    ExamDiff and ExamDiff Pro.
    *    Beyond Compare
    *    CSDiff, from ComponentSoftware.
    *    WinMerge
    *    Guiffy - never tried it
    *    Meld, for GNOME
    *    CompareIt from Grig Software looks excellent, though I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet

--- End quote ---

f0dder:
I like Beyond Compare's default view:

CSDiff has a unique view that will let you view differences inline, which makes it worth having even if you buy any of the others.

--- End quote ---
-rjbull (October 10, 2006, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but isn't that what this view mode is about?

rand1038:
WinMerge has no problem, though it does take a couple minutes to do the compare, which is no surprise.
-rand1038 (October 09, 2006, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's Keith Devens on Differencing Programs

WinMerge is decent, but go with pretty much any of the others instead of it.

--- End quote ---
-rjbull (October 10, 2006, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'd have to disagree with him on that.  I wonder if he has ever needed to diff very large files?  In my opinion WinDiff is slow and outdated (Modified: Monday, August 18, 2003, the file from Keith Devens site);  even diffing small files and dirs I found it to be clunky.
CompareIt does a nice job! (but ... its 30 bucks)

Thanks for the link to the diff utils critique rjbull, a couple there I hadn't tried yet.

welcome, rand1038. nice avatar.
-nudone (October 09, 2006, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks nudone :)

I'm gonna lurk for awhile, I'll probably be asking about getting in on some devel eventually.  School is intense right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version