ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... a Gateway cure ...

<< < (3/4) > >>

barney:
Now, that is a right knightly concept.  Thanks  :Thmbsup:!  Not something I'd run across before, but there's definitely a use for it, 'specially here and now.

barney:
OK, it took seemingly forever, but I got it.  couldn't find it under 2003 server, but did find it as WinXP SP2 Support.  Then couldn't install it, as I don't currently have an XP box functional.  However, 7-Zip, to the rescue, and I was able to extract all the files.  Hopefully, it won't need an install, as such.  Most of the CLI stuff I've used in the past hasn't.  Equally hopefully, I'll find time this evening to set up a task schedule for it on each box.  Here's hoping.  (Hope I didn't put too much hope in here  :D.)

x16wda:
Actually my task when I came into work this morning was to find a way to track pool growth, since my boxes were cooperative enough to spit out a semi-incriminating event before they locked up.  My remembrance of perfmon was that it was too convoluted to get set up, so I was about to write a quick script when I came across this.

I should point out that the -m parameter tracks by process, you could also use a -p parameter to track by tag but that's more work to track down if you get a hit  ;)

Anyway, if you have a leaky app running on your boxes, hopefully this will show it up.  But if it's something innocuous that suddenly goes wild, you might not catch it.

PS- You can also just run a few snapshots by hand too, it doesn't need to be on a schedule...

barney:
Since I'm never aware when one (1) of these suckers is liable to crater, I like the idea of a scheduled task.  A lot more data through which to plow, but I'm kinda hopin' the last two (2) or three (3) will tell a story.  I'd love to find a leak, but it'd be almost as useful if I don't, eliminating one (1) area of conjecture.  Oft times, a process of elimination is putatively more valuable than a hard discovery.  The side issues can become quite illuminating  :P.

Shades:
It appears to me you should have a look at the 'Desktop Heap' of your system. Check on the Microsoft site if they have a version of 'Desktop Heap Monitor' for your OS. Its a small, free app that gives you a lot more insight in how the Windows Operating System actually uses RAM and how you can run out of resources while it appears there is more than enough left.

Having run this application on XP myself (and reading the MS documentation) I can tell you that you can (rather) easily pinpoint the culprit(s). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version