ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

The DonationCoder 2012 Fundraiser Has Begun!

<< < (4/20) > >>

mouser:
The forum will stay (for now) as powered by SMF, and will not change.  The cms-transition will convert all of the currently-static pages to be cms pages, and put in place a software repository.  The idea is to make the main pages of the site easier to update and make it easier for others to manage different sections of the site (software directory, reviews, blogs, etc.)

TaoPhoenix:
Yes.. Actually last week I finally chose a CMS platform to try to move DC too (Wordpress of all things -- yes i know it's more of a blog platform than cms platform, but it still seems like the way to go), and the idea is to move to that AND a proper software directory/repository this year, finally.

Fundraiser funds will help offset the time we spend transitioning, as always.
-mouser (April 01, 2012, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Mouser.

In my senile old age I forget these things, but weren't you writing your own CMS "for programmers"? (Or am I confusing you with someone else?)

Presuming that was you, what led you to not use that for your own site?

TaoPhoenix:
Nice idea.
NOTE: If anyone is not seeing the thermometer at the top of the page, force your page to refresh to get the new banner image with thermometer (thanks as always to Nudone for making such a beautiful banner with the image of Cody our mascot).
-mouser (April 01, 2012, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, in a mashup of my earlier request in another thread, what if we made our own DC themed materials? I have an idea brewing that I could have fun writing a few cartoons such as "Cody's Attic" and "Adventures of Cody" with an extra specialty of promoting Creative Commons. So here is a new offer from me: I'd pay $50 for a set of Cody pics of different poses and sizes ready to drop into comic panels. I'm not aiming for realism - more like a cross between Ryan North's Dinosaur Comics, and xkcd. It would also be fun to compose some funny DC ads.

mouser:
In my senile old age I forget these things, but weren't you writing your own CMS "for programmers"? (Or am I confusing you with someone else?)
Presuming that was you, what led you to not use that for your own site?
--- End quote ---

I am working (hard!) on a website framework that is meant to serve as the foundation of custom user-driven websites -- and which could be used to build CMS/Blog/Forum systems.  It's tentatively named "YUMPS" and the discussion is here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27639.0

But there are a couple of reasons not to use it for DC:

* It's not ready yet
* If what DC needs is a fairly standard CMS, then the existing tools do a good job (my YUMPS project is not trying to build a "better" CMS, it's trying to build a framework that programmers can use to create custom sites that share characteristics of cms systems but don't cleanly fit into the cms category).
* Who knows, one day DC might move to YUMPS anyway.
ps. Let's take any further discussion about YUMPS to that thread.

timns:
How often does the thermometer update?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version