ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PerfectDisk Free Edition

<< < (4/4)

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Perfect Disk does give you a view of the Pagefile, MetaData and MFT in analysis mode.  Thus you can determine if there is any real consequence to the boot time defrag. Both tools are excellent, but I do see myself taking advantage of this freebie and moving towards Perfect Disk.

All the defrags use the internal MS routine for the actual defrag so you don't have much concern that either one is structurally much different (except maybe unless you are doing virtualization, shadow boxing and all that stuff).

Steven

Carol Haynes:
All the defrags use the internal MS routine for the actual defrag so you don't have much concern that either one is structurally much different
-Steven Avery (April 05, 2012, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

PrefectDisk uses the MS routines to actually move file fragments but they go beyond that with file location optimisation. It also moves critical bits and pieces to faster areas of the partition (eg. folder information and boot files, as well as placing the pagefile in the middle of the partition which reduces seek distances for page writes.

The paid for versions (particularly the Pro version) goes way beyond the free version giving you a degree of control over the file layout and order on the disk.

Jibz:
I had a license for PD back at version 8, and it was fairly nice albeit a little slow.

One thing I liked was that it was able to defrag a drive that was nearly full unlike most tools.

One thing I did not like was that it kept processes running all the time on my machine .. I wonder if this is true for the free version too?

wreckedcarzz:
I have to +1 Defraggler as well, having it run daily (overnight) after an automatic CCleaner run works well.

Just to give it a go, I installed PerfectDisk and had it analyse my drive:

PerfectDisk Free Edition

That said, though, what does PD do differently than Defraggler/<other defragmentation tool here>? Defraggler does boot-time defrags as well, if you tell it to, of normally-locked Windows files, and it optimizes the drive's free space, and can even do built-in error checking (sometimes the filesystem "loses" freespace somehow during an intensive defrag, and this "reclaims" that space :huh:). It also does SMART monitoring, and tells you in simple terms if your drive is healthy or not. And obviously, it can do just one directory/file/whatever, or just a selection of them. Oh, and a basic scheduling system that uses Task Scheduler. I'm just looking for a comparison I suppose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version