ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Help is NO HELP

<< < (7/8) > >>

crabby3:
Just found this post from IainB.

Maybe this download includes a solution to my issue?   :tellme:

crabby3:
My issues are resolved!    :D

I just opened two windows, one with the D:\ files and one with the C:\ files.  Then carefully used drag-n-drop to move the D: files to their proper locations in the C: files.  I tested each program, as I went, making sure I didn't screw up anything... like dropping it in the wrong location.  Each one worked the way it used to.

Just found this post from IainB.

Maybe this download includes a solution to my issue?   :tellme:
-crabby3 (April 07, 2012, 12:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
I tried this first but... it didn't help or change anything that I could find.    :(

Crabby, if you're not sure what you're doing, and you'd like to revert to how things were, you could consider using System Restore.-tomos (April 06, 2012, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
I tried this second... unfortunately this didn't help either... but I was able to learn what to expect from Vista's System Restore.   :)   The only noticable change was... the DATA (D:) file name, on the Start Menu's right pane, reverted back to Documents... but all the files (that I had moved) were still in D:\

I still have the original issue though...  ;D  ...running out of disk space on C:    ... but I think I'm through with moving stuff around to get it.

x16wda:
If nothing else, if your C and D partitions are on the same physical drive you could always reallocate the space (shrink your D and enlarge your C).  There are a number of free programs to do that for you; I have always had excellent results with Paragon software (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/ is their free partition manager page).

tomos:
Crabby, if you're not sure what you're doing, and you'd like to revert to how things were, you could consider using System Restore.-tomos (April 06, 2012, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
I tried this second... unfortunately this didn't help either... but I was able to learn what to expect from Vista's System Restore.   :)   The only noticable change was... the DATA (D:) file name, on the Start Menu's right pane, reverted back to Documents... but all the files (that I had moved) were still in D:\

I still have the original issue though...  ;D  ...running out of disk space on C:    ... but I think I'm through with moving stuff around to get it.
-crabby3 (April 07, 2012, 08:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

The system restore only changes what's on the C: partition.
OK, I suspect what that means is that your "My Documents" are on C: again. The files are also on D - but that is just a copy of them - if you save a file in My Docs I reckon it will be on C:

Dont get too trigger happy Crabby :D
please only do one thing at a time - I mean dont be doing system restores and at the same time trying out other things that will change stuff - cause you'll end up not knowing what has changed what which could make things difficult to recover from if anything goes wrong.

So to summarise:
the system restore *did* work:

* Your My Docs are back on C:
* You now have a copy of the files from My Docs on D:
so you're roughly back where you started ;-)

I'm bowing out here :)

crabby3:
So to summarise:
the system restore *did* work:

* Your My Docs are back on C:
* You now have a copy of the files from My Docs on D:
so you're roughly back where you started ;-)-tomos (April 07, 2012, 10:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

My posting ability still needs some a lot of work...  ;D       This is the chronological order of events.      Please excuse the confusion...    :)

First....... I tried the Portable Fix It Troubleshooters Suite from IainB's post... but this didn't seem to make any noticable changes.

Second... I tried using System Restore (went back 5 days).  This changed the DATA (D:) file name, on the Start Menu, back to Documents.:)  ...but nothing else.:(   Everything I had moved to D: was still on D: only.

Third...... I opened 2 windows, one with the D:\ files and one with the C:\ files.  Then carefully used drag-n-drop to move the D: files to their proper locations in the C: files.  I tested the (error message) programs as I went and each one worked the way it used to.   :D

So...... the only things I left on D: are some files that weren't in a folder.  The files and folders I drag/dropped were sent to the Recycling Bin. (which can be restored if need be)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version