ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Help is NO HELP

(1/8) > >>

crabby3:
Why won't a window remember where I moved it or how big I made it?   :huh:

For instance... I click on My Pictures in the Start Menu and the window will open near the top left corner of the screen and be the default size.  I move it over to the center of the screen and drag the bottom right corner to make it a little bigger.  If I close and open it again... it's back in the upper left corner and small again.     :P

I recently updated my drivers, using all that were available, but this didn't help.   :(    And I have Windows set to Auto-Update... which it does... every day or so.

For some reason... Windows Mail is the only one that remembers where and how big it was.

Any other Vista users at DC with this issue?    :tellme: 

Curt:
-yes!

1):
Windows Explorer Folder View settings - Vista Forums
--- End quote ---

2):
ResizeExplorer 1.1.0.2 - DonationCoder.com
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
"Windows" are technically called "forms" (or "Forms"). The starting position of a form is one of:

Forms also have a "Location" which is an X/Y coordinate on the screen.

When a form closes, the position information goes out of memory and is lost.

It *can* be saved by the program to restore on the next run, but this is entirely up to the programmer.

Now, if you change your resolution, and the program is restored off-screen, this is a real problem for most users. While it can be fixed in the C languages, Forms in Delphi don't generally have a "Move" context menu item for their icon in the taskbar, which makes them almost impossible to recover without screwing with your resolution again. If it's on a second monitor that you no longer have, you could be hosed.

So, those are some of the issues with location. They can all be solved by checking the screen size and all that, but it's just one of those fine polish things that few people like to do.

Hope that helps explain somewhat.

crabby3:
-yes!

1):
Windows Explorer Folder View settings - Vista Forums
--- End quote ---
-Curt (March 31, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank You, Curt, your first link helped me understand the problem a little more and I was able to fix it.

...Though I used a less agressive method.  Being the 'novice' that I am... I try not to delete or change any Windows Files.

What I did:

1)  Opened My Pictures, clicked Tools, Folder Options, View and un-checked Remember each folder's view settings, then restarted my computer.**

2)  Opened My Pictures, clicked Tools, Folder Options, View and checked Remember each folder's view settings, then restarted again.

3)  Opened several different windows, moving and resizing the way I want them, and again... restarted.

4)  Opened all the windows I had moved/resized... and... and... they remembered where and how big they were.   :)

4.5)  Not done yet...  :-\

5)  Opened a few programs that seem to refresh my desktop or change the resolution as they load. (XP stuff...games, PSP, etc.)  And... restarted. ;D

6)  Opened all the windows I had moved/resized and they still remembered where and how big.   :D

=======================================
     ** Go to step  2  ...if the box is already un-checked.
=======================================

This might be considered restart-overkill... but how much is too much... when you're testing something?

I'm just glad to get past this Windows Amnesia thing!

Thanks again Curt!    :Thmbsup:

crabby3:
@ Renegade

I've never messed with the resolution... but as I stated in my reply to Curt...

5)  Opened a few programs that seem to refresh my desktop or change the resolution as they load. (XP stuff...games, PSP, etc.)-crabby3 (April 01, 2012, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

...some of my older programs do!   :'(

Many Thanks to you, Renegade, for bringing up the Resolution Factor.  It never occured to me that this could possibly cause the Window-Memory problem... and this is why I included loading those XP programs... during my testing!  ;)

Not sure what you mean by 'checking the screen size'... but... FWIW...I use an Acer 7730 laptop that comes with a 17" screen.  Don't use any additional monitors or LCD's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version