topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows Help is NO HELP  (Read 19356 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Help is NO HELP
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 04:26 PM »
      (The DATA (D:), that used to say Documents, was already highlighted... I clicked it anyway but nothing changed.)

When I clicked the Addressbar... it changed from Computer>DATA (D:)>     to D:\

Note:  As I mentioned above, I think Reply#15, my Start Menu now lists Documents as DATA (D:).    In the right pane.

Well, it seems like the whole D: partition is now "My Docs" :-\
That doesnt seem to be ideal to me.

Better would be e.g. D:\Documents - then you could also have
D:\Pictures etc. etc.

At this stage, I'd wait and see what someone more expert than me has to say about it all ;-)
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 04:32 PM »
from http://answers.micro...02-85ba-fd49a007fd82:

The My Documents folder is part of Windows 7's new Documents Library.  A library combines multiple folders that contain similar types of files.

To move your documents to the D drive:

1. Create a new documents folder on the D drive.
 2. Right-click the new folder and click Include in Library > Documents .
 3. Click Start > Documents .
 4. Double-click My Documents to show its contents.
 5. Drag and drop the files to the new folder.
 6. Press F5 to refresh the view.
 7. Under Documents Library , click locations .
 8. Right-click the new folder and click Set as default save location .
 9. [Optional] Click My Documents and click Remove .

vi vi vi - editor of the beast

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 05:30 PM »
To move your documents to the D drive:

I think that Crabby has already moved "Documents" to the D partition -
but instead of being in D:\Documents they are simply in D:\

(have a look at his previous post - I may well be misunderstanding it...)

PS - also note: it's Vista - I dont know if that varies much/any from Win7...
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 05:47 PM »
@ crabby3, I am getting confused.
Will you please remind us what operating system you have? XP, Vista, 7, etc.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11 PM »
@ crabby3, I am getting confused.
Will you please remind us what operating system you have? XP, Vista, 7, etc.

Here's the info Curt...     Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium-SP2   Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU    T6400 @ 2.00GHz    4GB RAM    64-bit        Windows(R) Internet Explorer 9

This is my current 'Signature'... which appears below all of my posts.   :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 12:21 AM »
Just found this post from IainB.

Maybe this download includes a solution to my issue?   :tellme:

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 08:49 AM »
My issues are resolved!    :D

I just opened two windows, one with the D:\ files and one with the C:\ files.  Then carefully used drag-n-drop to move the D: files to their proper locations in the C: files.  I tested each program, as I went, making sure I didn't screw up anything... like dropping it in the wrong location.  Each one worked the way it used to.

Just found this post from IainB.

Maybe this download includes a solution to my issue?   :tellme:
I tried this first but... it didn't help or change anything that I could find.    :(

Crabby, if you're not sure what you're doing, and you'd like to revert to how things were, you could consider using System Restore.
I tried this second... unfortunately this didn't help either... but I was able to learn what to expect from Vista's System Restore.   :)   The only noticable change was... the DATA (D:) file name, on the Start Menu's right pane, reverted back to Documents... but all the files (that I had moved) were still in D:\

I still have the original issue though...  ;D  ...running out of disk space on C:    ... but I think I'm through with moving stuff around to get it.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 09:55 AM »
If nothing else, if your C and D partitions are on the same physical drive you could always reallocate the space (shrink your D and enlarge your C).  There are a number of free programs to do that for you; I have always had excellent results with Paragon software (http://www.paragon-s...com/home/pm-express/ is their free partition manager page).
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Crabby, if you're not sure what you're doing, and you'd like to revert to how things were, you could consider using System Restore.
I tried this second... unfortunately this didn't help either... but I was able to learn what to expect from Vista's System Restore.   :)   The only noticable change was... the DATA (D:) file name, on the Start Menu's right pane, reverted back to Documents... but all the files (that I had moved) were still in D:\

I still have the original issue though...  ;D  ...running out of disk space on C:    ... but I think I'm through with moving stuff around to get it.

The system restore only changes what's on the C: partition.
OK, I suspect what that means is that your "My Documents" are on C: again. The files are also on D - but that is just a copy of them - if you save a file in My Docs I reckon it will be on C:

Dont get too trigger happy Crabby :D
please only do one thing at a time - I mean dont be doing system restores and at the same time trying out other things that will change stuff - cause you'll end up not knowing what has changed what which could make things difficult to recover from if anything goes wrong.

So to summarise:
the system restore *did* work:

• Your My Docs are back on C:
  • You now have a copy of the files from My Docs on D:

so you're roughly back where you started ;-)

I'm bowing out here :)
Tom
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:31 AM by tomos, Reason: typos :p »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 03:48 AM »
So to summarise:
the system restore *did* work:

• Your My Docs are back on C:
  • You now have a copy of the files from My Docs on D:

so you're roughly back where you started ;-)

My posting ability still needs some a lot of work...  ;D       This is the chronological order of events.      Please excuse the confusion...    :)

First....... I tried the Portable Fix It Troubleshooters Suite from IainB's post... but this didn't seem to make any noticable changes.

Second... I tried using System Restore (went back 5 days).  This changed the DATA (D:) file name, on the Start Menu, back to Documents.:)  ...but nothing else.:(   Everything I had moved to D: was still on D: only.

Third...... I opened 2 windows, one with the D:\ files and one with the C:\ files.  Then carefully used drag-n-drop to move the D: files to their proper locations in the C: files.  I tested the (error message) programs as I went and each one worked the way it used to.   :D

So...... the only things I left on D: are some files that weren't in a folder.  The files and folders I drag/dropped were sent to the Recycling Bin. (which can be restored if need be)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:02 AM by crabby3, Reason: more accurate info »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Guess I have CPU gremlins?

Most days the CPU just idles as I surf.  Others it's going into cardiac arrest.  No gaming or ad-drenched sites.

Maybe it's preprogrammed tasks?  Virus?  Malware?

Full virus scan monthly.  Quick scan weekly.  Spyware, adware, malware daily.

If I haven't used the mouse for a while the pointer will skip across the screen when I move it but nothing really bad happens.

I could make popcorn in the fan air.    :(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Use a piece of software called Process Explorer, you can download it for free from the Microsoft website.
This software will show you all that is going on in your computer, making it easy to identify which process(es) claim a lot of CPU. If you don't know the name of the process, research on the net will show you solutions rather easy and quickly.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Use a piece of software called Process Explorer, you can download it for free from the Microsoft website.
This software will show you all that is going on in your computer, making it easy to identify which process(es) claim a lot of CPU. If you don't know the name of the process, research on the net will show you solutions rather easy and quickly.

Thank you Shades.  I think I may have found the cause already.  A stupid IE add-on.  For grabbing videos you can't download using save target as.  A little while ago the CPU was going crazy.  Turning off auto-detect let it go back to idle.  Don't know why I didn't remember this setting sooner.  Off and on use I guess.  I can't seem to part with free stuff... even if I don't use it much.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Why are some of my file names in blue?  This blue file and/or folder name issue has bugged me for a while.

Windows Explorer will display compressed files in blue. Files can be compressed to save disk space, but there are ramifications to consider.

Mouser refers to Ask Leo here but I don't think I would have found it because this topic is about registry cleaning.

Ask Leo's Home Page is  http://askleo.com/ask-leo/  for other questions one might have.   :)

BTW
... In case you're wondering, encrypted files display in green...