Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 21, 2014, 07:10:20 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: OneNote is now free  (Read 2340 times)
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:41:56 PM »

Today we’re excited to complete that story with three major developments:

OneNote for Mac is available for the first time and for free. With this, OneNote is now available on all the platforms you care about: PC, Mac, Windows tablets, Windows Phone, iPad, iPhone, Android and the Web. And they’re always in sync.

OneNote is now free everywhere including the Windows PC desktop and Mac version because we want everyone to be able to use it. Premium features are available to paid customers.

The OneNote service now provides a cloud API enabling any application to connect to it. This makes it easier than ever to capture ideas, information and inspirations from more applications and more places straight into OneNote, including:

•    OneNote Clipper for saving web pages to OneNote
  •    me@onenote.com for emailing notes to OneNote
  •    Office Lens for capturing documents and whiteboards with your Windows Phone
  •    Sending blog and news articles to OneNote from Feedly, News360 and Weave
  •    Easy document scanning to OneNote with Brother, Doxie Go, Epson, and Neat
  •    Writing notes with pen and paper and sending them to OneNote with Livescribe
  •    Mobile document scanning to OneNote with Genius Scan and JotNot
  •    Having your physical notebooks scanned into OneNote with Mod Notebooks
  •    Connecting your world to OneNote with IFTTT

Go to www.onenote.com to get OneNote for free for your Mac, PC or other devices, and try out the new OneNote service connected experiences.

There is still a paid version of OneNote if you need such "premium features like SharePoint support, version history, Outlook integration and so on".

So, is this an Evernote-killer or is it too late or not enough for that?
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »

April 1??   Wink

I love this developement
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »

So, is this an Evernote-killer or is it too late or not enough for that?

Don't know if it is or not.  Onenote is more flexible in my opinion; not being able to access it where ever I was was the big reason I've used Evernote for so long.

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »

Is this for real in 2014?

In the "Other download options" dropdown:

For the best compatibility, we recommend the 32-bit version. If you already have other 64-bit Office products installed, use the 64-bit version of OneNote.

I've got a 64-bit CPU, running a 64-bit OS made by Microsoft, yet they recommend a 32-bit version of the software for compatibility? Compatibility with what? tellme

But other than that, this is cool news! I love OneNote. I thought it was really cool/useful in Office 2007.

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »

But other than that, this is cool news! I love OneNote. I thought it was really cool/useful in Office 2007.

A few points from the other thread:

• It's more like freemium
  • You can only use notebooks stored in the cloud in the free version (you have to buy/subscribe to Office to use a local notebook)
  • It's around 1 GB installed, the tiny setup tool downloads all of that
  • It also installs OneDrive and a printer driver
  • Some people see 64-bit programs being installed when they chose the 32-bit version, not sure what exactly the difference is

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »

• Some people see 64-bit programs being installed when they chose the 32-bit version, not sure what exactly the difference is

Since x64 versions are usually a bit larger than their x86 counterparts, maybe it accounts for 900MB of the download?

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »

^ heh

3rd party plugins for Office are usually written for 32-bit Office versions and these are more than likely useless on a 64-bit Office version. Hence the advice that MS gave when I downloaded Office 2010 way back then.

4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »

It was a dig at the size of the download and the fact that x86 versions of (any) programs are generally smaller than their x64 counterparts.

Maybe in the future I need to add more  Grin smiley Cool Wink Sad Angry cheesy tellme ohmy huh embarassed thumb down thumbs up Thmbsup Cry mad undecided Kiss tongue

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »

I got it and I thought it was funny. :-D

Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »

3rd party plugins for Office are usually written for 32-bit Office versions and these are more than likely useless on a 64-bit Office version. Hence the advice that MS gave when I downloaded Office 2010 way back then.

This is exactly the reason for Microsoft's recommendations. 99% of the MS Office plugins available are 32-bit & they will not work with the 64-bit version of Office.
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »

This is exactly the reason for Microsoft's recommendations. 99% of the MS Office plugins available are 32-bit & they will not work with the 64-bit version of Office.

Thus the farce of downloading the x86 installer and running it at their recommendation then finding that they apparently installed the x64 version instead ... without telling you.

Innuendo
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »

Thus the farce of downloading the x86 installer and running it at their recommendation then finding that they apparently installed the x64 version instead ... without telling you.

Not that it excuses what is happening, but to be fair I don't think there are any plugins available for OneNote anyway. At least, I'm not aware of any.
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »

I downloaded and installed the x86 version and that's what exactly I got. I had to run a special removal tool to get rid of it so that I could install the x64 version. I also didn't have any other Office products installed on my computer before installing OneNote.

Did you by chance already have some Office x64 products installed before you installed OneNote?

4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »

Did you by chance already have some Office x64 products installed before you installed OneNote?

Other than Windows 8.1 Pro x64, there's no other Microsoft programs installed, (except those installed by WHS2011 - also x64).

When I ran the x86 installer I ended up with a folder in Program Files (x86) of ~200kB and one in Program Files of ~1GB - which if the folder under Program Files actually contained the x86 version, seems contrary to Microsoft's stipulations.

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »

I only had the free Word Viewer (with compatibility pack) installed (only think that comes in 32-bit). I noticed it no longer opens docx files but gives an error message now, not sure if the OneNote install broke it.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.054s | Server load: 0.03 ]