ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Flying Car

<< < (2/2)

barney:
People are already wasting fuel in NASCAR/Formula 1.
-mahesh2k (April 05, 2012, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wel-l-l-l ... no.  Those races, while seemingly extravagant, have engendered significant fuel economy in everyday engines, have made tires much safer, have made vehicles much safer.  Apart from a certain entertainment value, those racing venues have made the vehicles we drive today immeasurably safer than otherwise would have been.  They are both entertainment to some and research facilities to others.  Without the racing element, we'd likely be still riding around on vehicles with hard, solid rubber tires w/o the benefit of seat belts, and with higher carbon emission energy plants driving those vehicles.  Not all research is done in laboratory conditions by folk in white robes.

While it's unlikely that flying automobiles will gain practicality in the near future, the mere possibility will drive improvements and innovations in the aircraft industry and in the accident avoidance industry.  So fuel is not the driving factor here ... innovation is.

mahesh2k:
My knowledge in automobile is pretty much shallow, so I don't know any known improvement as of now. I see a lot of changes in electronics world but I have yet to see any 2-4 wheeler cars for domestic market that consumes less fuel. So far the cars in market are in moderate points when it comes to fuel.

Most of the time the racing is around speed and control, not fuel saving. I doubt they have any goals or even research on fuel saving front in these races. I agree that innovation is driving factor, but it's hard to notice such innovation from domestic front if the fuel part is ignored. Sure, we can see A-list people surfing on moon station, even today, unless it gets cheap in domestic market, it hardly gets noticed.

Renegade:
My knowledge in automobile is pretty much shallow, so I don't know any known improvement as of now. I see a lot of changes in electronics world but I have yet to see any 2-4 wheeler cars for domestic market that consumes less fuel. So far the cars in market are in moderate points when it comes to fuel.

Most of the time the racing is around speed and control, not fuel saving. I doubt they have any goals or even research on fuel saving front in these races. I agree that innovation is driving factor, but it's hard to notice such innovation from domestic front if the fuel part is ignored. Sure, we can see A-list people surfing on moon station, even today, unless it gets cheap in domestic market, it hardly gets noticed.
-mahesh2k (April 06, 2012, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fuel efficiency has been largely buried. Search for patents on fuel efficiency or energy and you'll turn up a wealth of things that have been buried.

So it's no surprise that we've never seen a fuel efficient vehicle -- all the cheap/free energy technologies get killed off.

Here's a starting point that describes some different energy technologies:

http://www.wanttoknow.info/freeenergy

There are lots of links there to MSM stories as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version