ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

JustCloud.com: It's All Lies

<< < (5/5)

40hz:

How long do the devices last?

-SeraphimLabs (October 24, 2012, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um...these devices (called "storage pods") are 135TB bespoke storage servers. They use RAID-6 with their own proprietary software running on top of a Tomcat/Apache stack. They last as long as they last? RAID allows them to swap out failed drives without data loss. And their software handles redundancy and management functions in their data center.

The pod specs and the BOM have been published by Backblaze. It uses off-the-shelf-parts. You can build your own for about $7500 fully loaded if you want, although you're on you own for software. They don't sell their server solution or hardware. They're strictly an online backup service. If you want your own storage pod you'll have to build it yourself.

Multiple pods make up the Backblaze Data Center

JustCloud.com: It's All Lies

:)

SeraphimLabs:
Okay that makes more sense.

I was imagining some type of set top box that acted as an encryption gateway and SAN device, which relayed everything up to their datacenter for the actual storage.

The line of thought then followed that you bought the gateway device to get access to "unlimited" space for free, which meant that unless the devices had a set expiration date or were prone to failure they would eventually accumulate more customer data than they could afford to keep.

Though it certainly gave me an idea for a rather innovative approach to offsite backup.

Giampy:
Box.com offers 25 GB for free: https://www.box.com/signup/o/slideshark_25
Do you know it? Can you advise it or advise against it?

wraith808:
Box.com offers 25 GB for free: https://www.box.com/signup/
Do you know it? Can you advise it or advise against it?
-Giampy (October 25, 2012, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is that a referrrer link on the end?  It's good to let people know that... :)

40hz:
^That said, I have a Box account (along with accounts on several of its competitors) and I've been very happy with it. But what can I say? It is what it is. And it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version