ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9... cm vs. in

<< < (4/4)

crabby3:
Crabby perhaps you can confirm by simply saving this file from PSP as a different name, then closing the file and reopening it.  Does it now show in millimeters or still in inches?-mouser (March 30, 2012, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

It reverted back to Metric...   :huh:

tomos:
After a quick look, it seems as though the png image that crabby has that shows info in inches in PSP is actually lacking any DPI info in it, making PSP use a default and not showing dpi.  I think that's what's happening.-mouser (March 30, 2012, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

so the programme just desnt know the actual size of the image and is just guessing/using a default setting, say 96dpi, or 72dpi ?

FWIW, I realise now that my ancient Photoshop (5,5) does not recognise any dpi info in PNGs. Screenshots from mouser's SC - show at 96dpi in SC but at 72dpi in Photoshop...
If I change the dpi in SC it still doesnt change in Photoshop.

tomos:

So, (the plot thickens?) -
I guess it could also be possible that PSP is just guessing the size - especially if it's in inches, but also even if shown in metric...

You could test it by opening PNGs with a different resolution/dpi to the standard that you're always seeing in PSP.

crabby3:
@Mouser

Would it be better/worse, easier/harder, to add PSP to Screenshot Captor's Default Image File Format?   :)  This may fix this issue.

The PSP file size appears to be more than PNG but less than TIF.  This comparison was made on the image I sent you.   <(This is unrelated additional info)

-----------------

BTW....... There's a typo on the SC Image File Format page.  Bottom paragraph, second sentence... transparency is spelled with a t at the end...    transparenct

crabby3:
Hey Tomos... I just noticed your reply...  :-[

So, (the plot thickens?) -
I guess it could also be possible that PSP is just guessing the size - especially if it's in inches, but also even if shown in metric...

You could test it by opening PNGs with a different resolution/dpi to the standard that you're always seeing in PSP.
-tomos (March 30, 2012, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

In PSP there's a Units tab under General Program Preferences that I've never understood the purpose of.  This is where: "The default resolution will be applied to any image or file without a resolution value."  I thought all pics already had a resolution value.   :huh:   It can be set from 1.000 to 2540.000 in ppi or ppcm.  I have it set at 200.000 ppi.  (I think the original default was 96.000 ppi.    ...but it's not worth resetting all my other preferences to find out.)   ;D

To run the test... I reset the resolution to 201.000 ppi, opened a PNG, and it showed 201.000 ppi.

So I guess Mouser's conclusion is correct...    :)

I think basically what's happening is the other program is not storing DPI info in the file.-mouser (March 30, 2012, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please excuse the delayed reply.   :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version