Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 30, 2014, 11:26:39 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 800 lb Paper Airplane?  (Read 5567 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:47:19 PM »

The 800 lb gorilla of paper airplanes is... 800 lbs. cheesy

http://www.theregister.co.../2012/03/26/desert_eagle/

An Arizona aircraft museum reckons it has taken the record for the launch of the biggest ever paper plane: a 45ft (13.7m) long monster which glided to Earth last week from a height of 2,703ft (824m).

Pima Air & Space Museum's hefty 800lb (363kg) Arturo's Desert Eagle needed a helicopter to haul its 24ft (7.3m) wingspan off the ground, but video of the release indicates it really did fly at up to 98mph (158km/h), even if footage of what we imagine was a lively landing isn't yet available.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f49oEyk5bw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f49oEyk5bw</a>

http://greatpaperairplane.org/

It’s not every day that a giant paper airplane is released high over the Arizona desert. In fact, it’s never been done. But that’s exactly what the Pima Air & Space Museum did on March 21, 2012. The video to the right is our first glimpse into the dramatic, historic flight. More videos to come as we gather footage.

A couple months ago, hundreds of kids came to the museum to show us what paper airplane flying was all about. And now, inspired by their enthusiasm, we built a 45-foot paper airplane (quite possibly the largest ever constructed) and flew it.

Boys and their toys! Grin

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:47:55 AM »

hmm, so they took it straight up - released it; then it plummented straight down to the ground by the looks of it. Not what I'd call "flying".

Or is there another reason why they haven't videod the "flight".
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »

Or is there another reason why they haven't videod the "flight".
It's not easy, tracing paper.

Chris
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »

It's not easy, tracing paper.

it might have been easier if they'd used graph paper

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »

Are you sure that the plane was Legal?
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »

Are you sure that the plane was Legal?
I think they stuck to the letter of the law when it came to size, so it was probably fly paper.

Chris
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »

you guys are too clever, I fold

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:02:37 PM »

I didn't realize you were a fan!

Chris
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »

I didn't realize you were a fan!

it's part of my folio

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:06 PM »

Don't be scared off! These guys are just paper tigers! tongue

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 06:46:56 AM »

it's part of my folio
Here, try this foolscap for size!

Chris
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »

I think they stuck to the letter of the law when it came to size, so it was probably fly paper.
Think it had a change of heart and became sandpaper instead...after all it grinded to a halt.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »

Think it had a change of heart and became sandpaper instead
Emery dog has its day...

Chris
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »

Emery dog has its day...

That's what it gets for being abrasive.

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »

Here, try this foolscap for size!

I'm not giving you any quarto on this one - try harder to think outside the box!

now you're rubbing me up the wrong way mad

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »

I don't know if you can handle this but we've come full circle; it's time to make the rough places plain.

Chris
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 11:35:24 PM »

You're dishing it out just as much as anyone. Playing the victim is just plane wrong. tongue

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »

I don't know if you can handle this but we've come full circle; it's time to make the rough places plain.

You're dishing it out just as much as anyone. Playing the victim is just plane wrong. tongue

I'll file that for later, in the mean time perhaps we should stop this chit before we get into strife for derailing the thread

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »

we should stop this chit before we get into strife for derailing the thread
That would be nothing to sneeze at but it's a tissue of lies.

Chris
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »

That' snot what I was thinking, but then again, I know booger all.

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »

No need to mew 'cos you have your nose in the clouds, though it's a sorry tale. You'll just have to wing it.

Chris
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »

we should stop this chit before we get into strife for derailing the thread

I glide? Like I could even begin to script something like that

No need to mew 'cos you have your nose in the clouds, though it's a sorry tale. You'll just have to wing it.

I think on this we are of a concorde

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »

I glide? Like I could even begin to script something like that
You certainly know how to propel a thought, even when it's a draft idea. You're diving me up the wall!

I think on this we are of a concorde
That's the ticket!

Chris
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »

You certainly know how to propel a thought, even when it's a draft idea. You're diving me up the wall!

so long as you don't crash and burn, I'd bank you'll be back in the loop in no time

That's the ticket!

book 'im danno!

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »

so long as you don't crash and burn, I'd bank you'll be back in the loop in no time
Now you're on a roll  ohmy

book 'im danno!
Don't get in a flap — I'll pass.

Chris
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.049s | Server load: 0.15 ]