topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What is the good part of 1Password  (Read 12376 times)

rail4you

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What is the good part of 1Password
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:12 PM »
I have no mac, but I know there is a wonderful password management software named "1Password"

I also find 1Password has  a windows version. I installed it and find it is very basic. I compared it with my favorite Roboform and keepass.

1. password management:  1Password's GUI is good. But 1Password can't recognize firefox. You can only save and load the infomation in own GUI not the browser. Anyway it seems like a basic version Roboform

2. autotype feature: just like keepass. You can type some infomation into certain window. Keepass can do such thing well too, and keepass has far more options to auto type. (user defined keystroke)

I check the price of 1Password. It is $49! Roboform is only $29.95 and keepass is free.
So My question is: Why so many people like 1password? Because it is the only nice password management software in Mac? In windows platform, is 1Password worth the money?

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is the good part of 1Password
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:54 AM »
KeePassX is free for the Mac although it hasn't been updated in awhile.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:03 AM »
LastPass is cross platform and seems to work in most common broswers (including Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari) plus it is free.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I use 1Password on Windows, and haven't had any problems with it being recognized by Firefox.  I use Chrome more, but it has worked for Firefox, and saves within the browser.  It also allows saving of other information- notes, other account information, and custom information/fields, so I use it for everything.  

I guess it's a matter of choice, but the big thing for me is that 1Password is also available (and syncs across) multiple platforms in many ways- I have it on my iPhone and iPad in addition to every one of my PCs and it syncs across them.  I paid $49 for 5 computers + $5 for all of my other devices.  

It's been bullet proof so far, and since I have my data on my device rather than on a server, I don't get into the problem detailed with the LastPass problem with the service being hacked; the files are encrypted on my devices with a hash only I have and decrypted on the other side.  

You can use WiFi or Dropbox to sync- i'm using dropbox since the files are hashed in any case, so I'm not concerned about Dropbox's deficiencies in that regard.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:53 AM »
LastPass now have pretty strong security measures and from what I can tell the 'hacking incident' didn't compromise anybody's passwords. The security is multilayered and can include authorising machines before allowing access to your data via a handy grid system (I carry mine with me in my purse - it wouldn't matter if I lose it because anyone finding it would have to have my other security details first and I can quickly generate a new random grid).

You can also add a phsical key (Ubikey) that has to be present on the system before you can use it).

You can also use it offline with a local password store if you want.

With a $12 a year subscription, LastPass is also available on mobile devices (I use it on my Blackberry) and you can use it for storing passwords for apps that require credentials to use them. I haven't tried it but it is almost certainly possible to store serial codes etc. for future installations too. There is also a portable version (with 0 install footprint).

LastPass also has the advantage that your passwords are available when you are away from your computer through any standard browser so if you are away and your device gets damaged, stolen or develops a fault you can still access your passwords.

I took some convincing with LastPass after RoboForm killed lifetime upgrades but now I have been using it for a while I really like it.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:52 PM »
I took some convincing with LastPass after RoboForm killed lifetime upgrades but now I have been using it for a while I really like it.
-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2012, 10:53 AM)

That's me... I was so disgusted with the company that I ditched both Roboform and Goodsync, and I'm the better off for it.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:57 PM »
With a $12 a year subscription, LastPass is also available on mobile devices (I use it on my Blackberry) and you can use it for storing passwords for apps that require credentials to use them. I haven't tried it but it is almost certainly possible to store serial codes etc. for future installations too. There is also a portable version (with 0 install footprint).
-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2012, 10:53 AM)

I'd rather the one time fee than $12 a year... JMO.  And I just don't want to put my passwords in anyone else's hands, no matter how they say that they can't get to them.  I mean, after all... corporations don't lie...

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:07 PM »
LastPass passwords are encrypted ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER - unless someone at LastPass is really telling huge, enormous, self-destructive lies.

Any of these password managers have access to your passwords and access to the internet.

The only way to remove risk/paranoia from the internet is to pull the plug on your computer and never go online.

Who is to say 1Password is safe - and you use DropBox to sync (!!!!) - my God that makes LastPass look like Fort Knox!

rail4you

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Oh, My question is about 1Password and Roboform(keepass)

Lastpass is not the point, because Lastpass don't have a real windows based client and Lastpass does not fill form beyond browser.

1Password and Roboform all have a nice client. It is faster than B/S product(Lastpass). Roboform can fill application form. I don't know much of  1Password, so I ask the question.

My point is what is the real killer feature in 1Password. Many people say 1Password is the killer mac product. It is worth the money.
Is it about GUI design or is it a hidden feature beyond password management to make 1Password so popurlar?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:45 PM »
LastPass can fill applications - you use the LastPass application desktop client app!

rail4you

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:33 PM »
LastPass can fill applications - you use the LastPass application desktop client app!

I forgot it's a paid feature. I don't buy lastpass. Anyone compare LastPass application with others? If LastPass application is good enough, $12/y is a killer price.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Who is to say 1Password is safe - and you use DropBox to sync (!!!!) - my God that makes LastPass look like Fort Knox!
-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2012, 05:07 PM)

Actually, it doesn't.  It uses a key on your computer to encrypt your file.  So Dropbox makes no difference.  Without the key on your computer and on your devices, the files are useless.

On the Lastpass front, they *have* to be able to decrypt them somehow... or how can you access it from the web?  Hmm?

My point is what is the real killer feature in 1Password. Many people say 1Password is the killer mac product. It is worth the money.
Is it about GUI design or is it a hidden feature beyond password management to make 1Password so popurlar?

I don't know that there is a real killer feature.  I like it, and I use it.  I use it on all platforms... I don't know if Keepass has that; I haven't tried it.  I paid once, and am done, and their forums and support have been very good on everything I've posted.

I forgot it's a paid feature. I don't buy lastpass. Anyone compare LastPass application with others? If LastPass application is good enough, $12/y is a killer price.

$12/year?  So after 4 years you've paid as much as 1Password.  I just don't like subscriptions if I don't have to... on a killer app that's only available that way... yes.  But not for this.  That's just my opinion, of course.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14 AM »
Does 1Password have lifetime licensing or do you have to buy upgrades regularly? In which case $12 a year doesn't seem so much.

On the Lastpass front, they *have* to be able to decrypt them somehow... or how can you access it from the web?  Hmm?

From the lastpass website (my emphasis):

SECURE YOUR DATA - Protect against identity theft! Your sensitive data is encrypted on your PC. Only your LastPass password can unlock your data and only YOU have it.

The security is apparently done by public/private keys. Presumably similar to secure webpages. So latspass never sees your data on their servers because it is not there in unencrypted format.

As far as I can tell you can also use LastPass locally - they even suggest you can use it on mobile devices in Airplane mode. Data is stored (in encrypted format) on your computer and if there is no internet access you can use the local cache. I assume you could, if you want, use your firewall to block LastPAss from accessing the network/internet and only use the local copy. You can also export that data for use on another computer (which would need to be authenticated - just do that before importing the data and blocking access).

If you want to see details of mutltifactor security see: https://lastpass.com...rt.php?lpnorefresh=1 (4th section middle column).

Even if you do store your data online and someone does access their server they would have to crack the encryption method separately for every single user account to get at your personal data because it isn't just password protection (the password is used with a private key to generate your LastPass private key, but it isn't the private key itself).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Does 1Password have lifetime licensing or do you have to buy upgrades regularly? In which case $12 a year doesn't seem so much.
-Carol Haynes (March 28, 2012, 03:14 AM)

Lifetime.  As I said, this is my pick- and he asked about 1Password.  I like it- I paid once when the windows beta was first commercially available, and I haven't looked back.  It works on all of my machines and devices, everything is synced, and it's also transparent how it's encrypted to me, so I don't personally care that I'm using dropbox, though it does have other methods of syncing if you don't even trust them with encrypted data (though I don't see why that would matter if its encrypted).  It works in my browser, and they have excellent support.  The only thing I don't like is the fact that you have to close the browser to update the desktop client (and they're pretty active on development, and since I have it on my full 5 machines and don't open the client all the time, it seems that every time I open a client I have to update).  Oh... it also has a search extension, i.e. type 1Password: and search for whatever in your address bar which is sometimes useful.

Is it worth it over other alternatives?  From what I've seen, I'd say so.  But as I've been using it for a couple of years, so I haven't really looked at anything else since I haven't seen the need. 

OT, It's cool if you're satisfied with Lastpass... I've not tried it in a while.  I do know that reading the posts from people that had been locked out of their accounts and couldn't access with "the last password they'd ever need" sort of left a bad taste in my mouth, perhaps undeservedly.  But slighting the other software's security when I know its encrypted on my computer with a private key that they don't have seems a bit backhanded... /shrugs

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19 PM »
1password's license isnt' a lifetime one. You'll get discounts for new major versions though. Or is there an option to buy a lifetime license? Thanks.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40 AM »
But slighting the other software's security when I know its encrypted on my computer with a private key that they don't have seems a bit backhanded... /shrugs

Not sure I understand that comment? I didn't say anything about 1Password since I have never used it (or made any other password manager except RoboForm - a company I now despise and wouldn't trust at all).

My recommendation for LastPass (at least worth a look) was based on the poster's original comments:

I also find 1Password has  a windows version. I installed it and find it is very basic.
So My question is: Why so many people like 1password? Because it is the only nice password management software in Mac? In windows platform, is 1Password worth the money?

I was offering LastPAss as a viable alternative and you just seemed to want to rubbish it with comments that weren't, in my opinion, actually valid - such as:

• 'LastPass has access to all your passwords' - they don't
  • 'Encytion doesn't take place on your computer' - it does
  • 'It doesn't work offline' - it does

I was just trying to set the record straight.

I also think that because of their hacker scare (where no user data was actually hacked as far as we know) they have really upped their game on security way beyond most, if not all, of the other password managers. The fact the the multifactor security means that you can tell your account not to allow access from unknown computers with fairly complex verification and there are also two methods of requiring a physical device to be present (YubiKey or USB with Sesame software) makes it a much more secure system that any other system I have tried - and I have tried most of the free and paid offerings (except 1Password).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 10:32 AM »
1password's license isnt' a lifetime one. You'll get discounts for new major versions though. Or is there an option to buy a lifetime license? Thanks.

Ah... I see that you're correct.  I'd thought it was... though as I said, I've been using it for 3 years now with upgrades, so new versions don't seem that far between.  I'm not sure what upgrade costs there are, and how necessary they will be when the time comes if I just want to continue with the version that I have, so maybe that's comparable.

Not sure I understand that comment? I didn't say anything about 1Password since I have never used it (or made any other password manager except RoboForm - a company I now despise and wouldn't trust at all).
-Carol Haynes (March 29, 2012, 03:40 AM)

-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2012, 05:07 PM)

As I'd said the files are encrypted- so dropbox doesn't even come into the equation, yet there's the comparison.
* wraith808 shrugs

Not a big deal.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:12 AM »
I didn't say 1Password isn't safe - just asked the question.

Actually people may worry about LastPass but almost all apps access the internet because generally apps we trust are allowed to traverse our Firewall and unless you do packet inspection it is very difficult to tell which ones are genuinely safe.

I retain my worries about DropBox - there has been enough coverage of that already!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14 AM »
I retain my worries about DropBox - there has been enough coverage of that already!
-Carol Haynes (March 29, 2012, 11:12 AM)

Does the relative safety of Dropbox matter in the event that your data is encrypted with a key that is not stored in the same place?