ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Swift To-Do List 7 Standard FREE today 2012-03-26 Only on BDJ

<< < (2/6) > >>

tranglos:
I had a quick look, but couldn't see that it (any edition) did anything that AbstractSpoon's ToDoList doesn't do. There probably is something, and the cloud links aren't in ToDoList yet, but the advantages of free, open source and still rapidly developing are substantial.
-Dormouse (March 26, 2012, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose it's a matter of preference. One big difference is that ToDoList is a single-pane UI, perhaps more akin to MLO than Swift To-Do List. If you need a strong separation between your task categories (because they have nothing to do with each other), this particular interface may not be suitable.

To me though, this screenshot explains why I personally find ToDoList inconvenient:
Swift To-Do List 7 Standard FREE today 2012-03-26 Only on BDJ

Too many columns and fields I don't need, and the one truly important piece of data is obscured behind the horizontal scrollbar. It needs a screen that's half a mile wide. Horizontal scrolling is evil I say and should be banished. It can make the best apps unusable.

You can probably tame the columns and get the UI to where you can see more of the actual items, but the principle remains. And this is not the only example of the developers' inattention to detail. Here's another:

Lowest priorities at the top, highest at bottom. A pure WTF moment. As a work of art, it would make an unsubtle ironic statement, but as a practical everyday tool, it only makes me laugh sadly :-)

TaoPhoenix:
I'm pretty old school when it comes to lists. I live by a mix of stickies, repurposed office calendars which become "pencil spreadsheets" and "task packets" paperclipped to cardboard backers, and notepads/journals.

Dormouse:

If you need a strong separation between your task categories (because they have nothing to do with each other), this particular interface may not be suitable.-tranglos (March 26, 2012, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's very easy to look only at items in the category (or categories) you want to look at - or alternatively to have separate areas in different tasklists. I do both; separate tasklists work well because you can have them all available on different tabs.

To me though, this screenshot explains why I personally find ToDoList inconvenient: (see attachment in previous post)
Too many columns and fields I don't need, and the one truly important piece of data is obscured behind the horizontal scrollbar. It needs a screen that's half a mile wide. Horizontal scrolling is evil I say and should be banished. It can make the best apps unusable.

You can probably tame the columns and get the UI to where you can see more of the actual items, but the principle remains. -tranglos (March 26, 2012, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very easy to tame. You just select the columns you want to see/use in the preferences. The prog even invites you do do this when you set it up initially.

And this is not the only example of the developers' inattention to detail. Here's another: (see attachment in previous post)

Lowest priorities at the top, highest at bottom. A pure WTF moment. As a work of art, it would make an unsubtle ironic statement, but as a practical everyday tool, it only makes me laugh sadly :-)-tranglos (March 26, 2012, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sad indeed - but you are mistaken in the way it usually works. Most people have the edit fields setup below the tasks which means that the high priority items are the shortest travel distance on the mouse, so for most people it is highly practical.[\quote]

I suppose it's a matter of preference. One big difference is that ToDoList is a single-pane UI, perhaps more akin to MLO than Swift To-Do List. -tranglos (March 26, 2012, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
I find it much more comprehensive than MLO (which I also have), but the single pane UI does put a lot of people off (me included); OTOH, I find the single pane way of working much more efficient that all the others I've tried, so it is what I use. Multi-user support on a network is really useful too depending on your circumstances. I think this really is a matter of preference - or, in my case, gradually getting used to something that I don't prefer because it just works better.

tomos:
Dextronet has recently sent me this (I'm a registered user of the Pro version):

We've recently launched new Ultimate edition of Swift To-Do List. Compared to
Professional, it adds these new features:

1) 100 new tree icons (so there is no 244 in total in Ultimate!)
2) Two-line displaying of too long task names
3) Spellchecker for notes and memos
4) Multi-level numbered lists in notes and memos (outlines)
5) Other extra Ultimate-only features that will be added in the future as free Ultimate-only upgrades.

--- End quote ---

I started with the Standard version in 2007, later upgraded to Pro. That was already quite expensive. Now in a classic bait-and-switch, they are offering a new "Ultimate" version... which has more icons and a spell-checker and a promise... for $199.95 (regular price).
-tranglos (March 26, 2012, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

seems very expensive to me, especially in the context of the pro version being demeaned.

tranglos:
seems very expensive to me, especially in the context of the pro version being demeaned.
-tomos (March 26, 2012, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's extremely expensive, and now those who shelled out for the Pro version are left hanging, as new features will go into the Ultimate version mostly. In a three-tier scheme like this, the top version is usually geared toward enterprise environments (multi-user database, security, advanced connectivity or various data exchange options, etc). But to add a spell-checker module (most likely just a third-party component) and some icons and call it "ultimate" is quite... wrong IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version