ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm Going to Build a PC. Suggestions?

<< < (14/14)

MilesOhToole:
Do I have to install the 32 bit first?-MilesOhToole (April 21, 2012, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

No.

Install went fine, but when I tried to type in the registration key, it was denied...twice.
--- End quote ---

Right-click Computer->Properties->Change Product Key

Enter your key there and it should register just fine - I have to do the same thing because I'm using an "upgrade" DVD to do a scratch install.

As a side note to your build, I picked up the February issue of Australian PC User from the local library the other day and they had a feature on upgrades:
Intel Core i5-2500K (PCUser Best Buy) - Comparing it to an i7-2700K:- Only until they overclocked the i7 to 4.4GHz was it able to get ahead of the i5 @ 4.4GHz in their benchmarks - that's got to say something about the sheer grunt the i5 has.
As they put it:
Ask yourself which do you want: 5% more speed or AU$140 in your pocket?
--- End quote ---

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (PCUser Best Buy)
Radeon HD6850 or HD6870 - Best cards under AU$200
-4wd (April 21, 2012, 07:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I did what you said and now it's coming up with "The Software Licensing Service determined this key is...for upgrading, not clean installation."

I just double-checked and, yep, I only have that one key.  And microsoft store is closed right now, of course.  I have 2 more days left.

Edited above.  Actually, it says 2 more days before automatic activation.  So, will it automatically activate without me having to do anything?  I don't really understand that.

4wd:
Well, I did what you said and now it's coming up with "The Software Licensing Service determined this key is...for upgrading, not clean installation."-MilesOhToole (April 21, 2012, 11:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I usually get...wait, I think I got that the wrong way round.

Click the Activate now link, select Activate online now and then enter the key.

Sorry, the Change Product link if for you buy an Upgrade to Professional or Ultimate - you just enter the key and the requisite features are enabled.

Actually, it says 2 more days before automatic activation.  So, will it automatically activate without me having to do anything?  I don't really understand that.

--- End quote ---

It will go into trial mode which lasts for 30 days, after that time you have to activate it, remove it or rearm.

As you can see from the pic above, there's 22 days left to activate, (WHS 2011), when it gets close to 0 days I can enter the following at a CLI prompt, (assuming I haven't bought it by then):

slmgr.vbs –rearm

After reboot, I'll have another 30 days grace period - I can do this 3 times for a total of 120 days activation grace period.

MilesOhToole:
That's what I usually get...wait, I think I got that the wrong way round.

Click the Activate now link, select Activate online now and then enter the key.
 (see attachment in previous post)
Sorry, the Change Product link if for you buy an Upgrade to Professional or Ultimate - you just enter the key and the requisite features are enabled.

It will go into trial mode which lasts for 30 days, after that time you have to activate it, remove it or rearm.

As you can see from the pic above, there's 22 days left to activate, (WHS 2011), when it gets close to 0 days I can enter the following at a CLI prompt, (assuming I haven't bought it by then):

slmgr.vbs –rearm

After reboot, I'll have another 30 days grace period - I can do this 3 times for a total of 120 days activation grace period.
-4wd (April 22, 2012, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, haha...well, somehow I read "change product key" and it completely left my brain, so I did do the activate now.

Thanks for the help and I'll try it again.  If I'm unsuccessful, I'll call Microsoft tomorrow morning.

I just found this.  I wonder if it really works.

4wd:
Oh, haha...well, somehow I read "change product key" and it completely left my brain, so I did do the activate now.-MilesOhToole (April 22, 2012, 12:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well put it this way, one of those links will accept the cd-key - that's the only way I've done it.

I've never had to call Microsoft even though I'm using Upgrade media for Clean install, (since you need to Clean install anyway if you had XP, I don't see much point in installing XP first just to verify that I'm Upgrading XP).

Carol Haynes:
Windows should just activate or click activate now.

If it complains there is something wrong somewhere.

Change Product Key isn't used for upgrading - you do that through the Anytime Upgrade window. It maybe the original key you type was incorrect - use change product key again and enter the key again - make sure to distinguish the letter B and number 8 - I have had a number of occasions when they are almost imperceptibly different on the labels. After entering they key use activate now or let it activate immediately if offered - make sure you have an active internet connection before you start.

The only reasons for activation to fails after that are:

* You tried to activate too many times in quick succession and so the server refuses to allow further automatic activation.
* You have a dodgy key - a while ago MS used to produce OEM packages with the keys on the outside - if you got old stock someone may have already used it. Recently the keys have been on the inside of the packaging.
* You still have the wrong key entered - but that is unlikely because the system won't accept one it doesn't consider valid.
* Microsoft server are screwed (probably most likely)
In any of these scenarios you need to call Microsoft and get a manual activation key.

Have you tried the MS automated phone system - that should work 24/7. Your local number shows up when activation fails. (Sorry haven't read all the comments above).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version