ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm Going to Build a PC. Suggestions?

<< < (13/14) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Ditto - I use Arctic Silver that is a few years old too - just squeeze a small blob out and discard if it looks as though the nozzle has started to dry out - the stuff inside the tube should be fine.

wraith808:
I'm also thinking about this monitor, mainly due to it's 2ms response, size, price and the reviews are pretty good.  Thoughts?
-MilesOhToole (March 30, 2012, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

That price doesn't look so good to me... especially in a non-LED backlit monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175

If I'm paying near $150, I'm going for a bit larger monitor, LED backlit.

I wouldn't touch reburbished motherboards with a barge pole.
-Carol Haynes (April 10, 2012, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

Tinman57:
OK, I hear you guys.

How about this monitor?  Oh, and a link in case that one doesn't open for our friends across the pond here.

I have never heard of I-Inc but most of the online reviews I've seen are positive and, as mentioned by Innuendo, it has a 16:10 aspect ratio.
-MilesOhToole (April 01, 2012, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just bought the 23 in ASUS LED backlit monitor and only paid $168, and it's totally awesome.  Has the "Splendid" Video Intelligence Technology that save you a lot of time adjusting the monitor automatically.

MilesOhToole:
OK, guys...I'm now 8 hours into my PC build and officially exhausted.  I've got to sleep right after this post.

And sorry I haven't been active here, lately.  I've worked 6 days, straight with a 12-hour shift thrown in to make sure I have no life, whatsoever.

So, after hours of pouring over various manuals and research on the internet, I was finally finished with the PC, all except for the video card.  I left that for last, just so I could see if the system would POST and all that.

I really had my doubts.  I expected a complete failure, as I'm so exhausted from such a long day and stayed up WAY past my bedtime.  (Luckily, I'm off tomorrow).

So, my PC works, as far as I know, since it did POST and I was able to install Windows 7 Pro 64.  I don't know about the front-side USB and audio yet...no time to test it.

I have a question, though.  Like I said earlier, I bought Windows 7 at a discounted price since my wife is in college.  They mailed me 2 discs, one labeled Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit and another, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Upgrade.

Do I have to install the 32 bit first?  Because I skipped that one and went straight for the 64 Bit one, instead.  Install went fine, but when I tried to type in the registration key, it was denied...twice. The registration key was emailed to my wife's college address from Microsoft.  Of course, I was able to finish install, but why isn't the key working?  And, I only have one key, not like I have one for both versions.  Oh, and they failed to give me Office 2010.  I only have a download available for Windows and they sent a backup copy on disc, free of charge.  I'm not even going to bother with that.  I'll download OpenOffice, instead.

I took various pictures of the build that I'll upload later.  I really thought I would be able to do some clever cable management, but that thing is a mess.  Cables just don't seem to be long enough to reroute and it's eSpaghetti, in there.  Probably my fault, as it's my first build and not understanding what should go where, first, and what will get in the way of the other thing.

Hey, at least (so far) I plugged the right cables into the right hardware and it's actually working!!!

Thanks to all of you for helping!

4wd:
Do I have to install the 32 bit first?-MilesOhToole (April 21, 2012, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

No.

Install went fine, but when I tried to type in the registration key, it was denied...twice.
--- End quote ---

Right-click Computer->Properties->Change Product KeyActivate Now

Enter your key there and it should register just fine - I have to do the same thing because I'm using an "upgrade" DVD to do a scratch install.

As a side note to your build, I picked up the February issue of Australian PC User from the local library the other day and they had a feature on upgrades:
Intel Core i5-2500K (PCUser Best Buy) - Comparing it to an i7-2700K:- Only until they overclocked the i7 to 4.4GHz was it able to get ahead of the i5 @ 4.4GHz in their benchmarks - that's got to say something about the sheer grunt the i5 has.
As they put it:
Ask yourself which do you want: 5% more speed or AU$140 in your pocket?
--- End quote ---

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (PCUser Best Buy)
Radeon HD6850 or HD6870 - Best cards under AU$200

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version