ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm Going to Build a PC. Suggestions?

<< < (10/14) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Core-i7 is more expensive than i5 but this one is probably just about within reach of your budget:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-2600-Processor-3-4GHz-LGA1155/dp/B004EBUXSU

tomos:
I'd spring the extra $35 and get the i5-2500K - these things are probably the best 'bang for buck' CPU around, you can go up to 4.3GHz by just changing the multiplier, all on the stock HSF.-4wd (March 27, 2012, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm no expert, but when buying myself (autumn last year) I read a few times that this one was best value/"bang for buck". The extra $80 (comparing with Carols link above) will get you more, but not really a whole lot more by the sounds of it.
So unless you really plan to use that extra, or if you just have the dosh... :D

Antonimo:
So, how much did that PC cost you, if you don't mind me asking.
-MilesOhToole (April 03, 2012, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz - Asus M5A78L-M USB3 HDMI Motherboard - 8GB DDR3 RAM Bundle cost £222 + VAT and delivery at Amazon.co.uk

iphigenie:
So, how much did that PC cost you, if you don't mind me asking.
-MilesOhToole (April 03, 2012, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz - Asus M5A78L-M USB3 HDMI Motherboard - 8GB DDR3 RAM Bundle cost £222 + VAT and delivery at Amazon.co.uk
-Antonimo (April 04, 2012, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

not bad. Time perhaps to upgrade another machine...

Carol Haynes:
Strange pricing - maybe it says more about the Bulldozer processor than anything else! I think it is probably worth waiting a CPU generation or two until they get it right.

Even though we have been talking about Intel chips in this thread I still prefer AMD in terms of bang for buck - they are just so my cheaper than Intel offerings - and I have found my Phenom II x6 very good - certainly spending two to three times the price on an i5 or i7 is hard to justify.

The other thing I like is that the Catalyst Drivers for AMD chipsets and AMD graphics card are all part of the same package which makes regular updates easier and it means the drivers are designed to work well together. All drivers have issues but I certainly found nVidia drivers caused more headaches especially if it wasn't an nVidia chipset on the mobo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version