ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm Going to Build a PC. Suggestions?

<< < (6/14) > >>

iphigenie:
my opera had no problem
maybe the print link will work better? http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/searchtools/item-details-print.asp?EdpNo=6798095&Sku=A466-2214
-iphigenie (March 31, 2012, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Still not working (ends in some 404 page, according to the name in the final link), maybe because I'm not in the US of A?

edit: Even when opening www.globalcomputer.com I get that page...
-Ath (March 31, 2012, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

very weird, works here from the UK. maybe something is happening at your ISP :(

Carol Haynes:
Works in Chrome here.

Personally I would find 21.1" a bit small these days (no 'double entendre' intended)

How about this one: http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1990492&CatId=4420 (24")

or a few dollars cheaper here: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS247H-P-23-6-Inch-Full-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDS0 (lots of good reviews too)

iphigenie:
considering they all end up having the same resolution, i tend to find 24" less "crisp" than smaller screens

never quite understood how they managed to make everyone focus on screen size rather than resolution, but here's t hoping that the ipad3 reverse that trend.

You could find 15" and 17" screens that did 1920x1600 10 years ago, you cant find a 21" near that resolution nowadays (even adjusted for 16:9/16:10)... let alone the equivalent in detail per inch...

Carol Haynes:
Given that 1920x1080 is the standard resolution for HD and screens of 60" show BluRay in all of its 'glory' I doubt there is much difference in crispness between a 21.5" and a 24" screen.

Or maybe it is just my eyesight!

Innuendo:
Looks like I'm late to this party and I just skimmed the thread, but I'll try to interject some points that I don't think anyone else covered.

Re: graphics cards...this is tricky. There's nothing preventing you from running PhysX on an AMD card. However, PhysX is owned by Nvidia and they put little checks in their PhysX drivers that only allow GPU-acceleration on Nvidia GPUs. This yields better performance & in a lot of cases enhanced PhysX effects in your games. Another consideration outside of games is Cuda. That's an Nvidia exclusive as well & if you have any software that takes advantage of Cuda acceleration you might do well to consider Big Green.

However, things aren't so bad on AMD's side of the table. Per dollar spent you usually get more horsepower for your money with AMD & their cards are definitely more power-efficient than Nvidia's. AMD's cards handle a few esoteric video formats/codecs better than Nvidia as well.

If going with an Intel platform new chipsets are coming out touting the new PCIe v3.0 standard which are promising optimized data pathways for greater throughput. You can find this new standard in the new H77, Z77, and X79 chipsets. While PCIe v3.0 won't future-proof your new PC it might in the long run help you get a greater life-span out of it.

Now as for monitors, go big or go home. Try to find something with the ever-increasing more rare 16:10 aspect ratio. You won't notice much difference if watching movies at your desk, but you'll really value the extra screen space when you switch gears to productivity software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version