ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Screenshot Captor... cm vs. in

<< < (4/5) > >>

crabby3:
My deepest appreciation goes out to whomever put a link to this DC forum topic on the internet!   :Thmbsup:

Maybe my quest will be a few years shorter because of it!   ;D

crabby3:
Maybe my quest will be a few years shorter because of it!   ;D
-crabby3 (March 27, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

My quest has ended!   :D       Please see this topic... Reply #11

crabby3:
I gleaned this info from another forum.   :-[    ...where I posted this issue.

So really quick. The PNG file format defaults to meters. There is a single byte inside the physical pixel dimensions chunk that defines how the editor should read the resolution. Because it is only a single byte it can only have two values 0:unknown 1:meters. The default, again, is meters. If this is not set then I suspect that PSP will default to Inches using the necessary conversion. The encoder that PSP uses doesn't offer to let you change this so it auto-defaults to meters.

The reason you might find a PNG that shows in inches is because this single value in the file is set to 0. And if the screen capture program NoName uses defaults this to 1 they will show in centimeters. It's that simple.

BTW  I just edited the 'NoName' and used copy/paste so there shouldn't be any mistakes.

Jibz:
That is basically what we arrived at here as well I think :).

Personally, I think that setting it to 0 just to let one programs possibly faulty decoder show inches instead of centimeters would be a mistake, unless this is some de-facto standard.

(And just for the record, a single byte can have 256 different values, there are just only two valid values defined in the PNG standard.)

crabby3:
That is basically what we arrived at here as well I think :).

Personally, I think that setting it to 0 just to let one programs possibly faulty decoder show inches instead of centimeters would be a mistake, unless this is some de-facto standard.

(And just for the record, a single byte can have 256 different values, there are just only two valid values defined in the PNG standard.)
-Jibz (March 30, 2012, 02:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your info, Jibz... but I was able to find another screencap program that fixed my problem.  This one, for some reason, allows my PSP to open PNG pics in inches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version