ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

xlsx corrupt file, password protected, can't open...need help

<< < (3/3)

x16wda:
Out of curiosity, when you password protected it, was that using native Office protection or something else?

Innuendo:
:(...sigh...yeah.  The last backup is from a month ago.  I didn't want to rely on cloud services, so I haven't really figured out a good syncing solution with usb drives.  I can use ftp from a static remote computer, which I use with SFFS, but with USB I need something a little more mobile and complex.  So in the meantime, I haven't been backing up much and now I've paid the price.
-superboyac (March 23, 2012, 10:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you're like me you've probably got a drawer full of small capacity thumb drives. Next time save a copy of your file to a couple (or more) different flash drives & you'll be prepared for disaster. :)

Carol Haynes:
From my experience with MS the other point is don't use passwords in future either - lock up the thumb drive!

4wd:
...but with USB I need something a little more mobile and complex.-superboyac (March 23, 2012, 10:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately with MS putting the kibosh on autorun.inf, (which was a good idea - the removing of it, that is), there doesn't seem to be an easy way to run removable based programs on insert unless there is a program on each host PC to initiate it - which shouldn't be too hard to do in AutoIt, (the initiating not the syncing).

FWIW, I use SyncBackPro on my PCs and it's set to perform backups when certain removable drives appear on the system.

superboyac:
Out of curiosity, when you password protected it, was that using native Office protection or something else?
-x16wda (March 24, 2012, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
native office protection.  Just a password protected workbook xlsx file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version