topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Chrome Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 80828 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
10 Chrome Extensions to avoid...
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 09:35 PM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chrome Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Sobering post: 10 Chrome Extensions You Should Uninstall Right Now

AdBlock? - Oops!

Interesting article.  Glad I was too lazy to install most of them.  :)

Although for me uBlock Origin was not a viable alternative.  The cure was worse than the disease.  Enough sites went weird with it running that I just got rid of it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Sobering post: 10 Chrome Extensions You Should Uninstall Right Now

AdBlock? - Oops!

Interesting article.  Glad I was too lazy to install most of them.  :)

Although for me uBlock Origin was not a viable alternative.  The cure was worse than the disease.  Enough sites went weird with it running that I just got rid of it.

I had the same problem- so I stick with uBlock, and it works for me.  Might want to try it.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 10:51 AM »
> Although for me uBlock Origin was not a viable alternative.  The cure was worse than the disease.  Enough sites went weird with it running that I just got rid of it.

(Wait.. the below is for uMatrix!)

I think the trick, especially on youtube sites which should have a global allow somehow, is to quickly hit the block and either make one or two reds green (frame and all) which still leaves nonsense things like google-analytics blocked. Or simply disable (top, toward the left.) The point is that if you have 15 or 20 websites open that are ok, they are far less likely to be scripting away to plunge your firefox into darkeness.  A reasonable trade-off.

If I remember, I dumped uBlock Origin also.

Steven

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 02:27 PM »
I like uBlock Origin. I find it a lot faster than AdBlock Plus, and extremely effective in blocking advertising.

It's true that at times it can be oversensitive, such as with complex webpages when they try to load combo boxes into an existing page, or with certain shopping cart pages, but I just learnt to untick it for those particular pages only.

To specifically control ads and annoying behaviour on YouTube I recommend "Magic Actions for YouTube." It gives you a lot of options to select or deselect individual YouTube features.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 03:44 PM »
I had the same problem- so I stick with uBlock, and it works for me.  Might want to try it.

Thanks.  I'll give it a go.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Since adblocking is built-in to Slimjet it makes ad-blocker extensions/add-ons superfluous. Chrome, however, would still need a blocker.
 - Is that correct?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Since adblocking is built-in to Slimjet it makes ad-blocker extensions/add-ons superfluous. Chrome, however, would still need a blocker.
 - Is that correct?

That is correct... as long as you trust their algorithm.  Personally, I found Slimjet slower with more memory consumption, and following issue.  And I really wanted to like SlimJet.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35 PM »
^
Spoiler
One major issue for me:
Autoplay videos consume way too much CPU and RAM for every browser I have tried, and I have tried all of them. Autoplay video ads can be blocked of course but sites that have videos for other purposes (news etc.) I should either avoid or live with high resource consumption? That is a false choice in my opinion. Eternally waiting for a programmer that "solves" this  :-\

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 08:08 AM »
 - Is that correct?

With SlimJet you may still need the JavaScript plugin blocker.  It counters those sites that put a black popup over the whole page, making you click the 'x' to get rid of it.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 10:06 PM »
@MilesAhead: Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed JavaScript Popup Blocker.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 06:16 PM »
@MilesAhead: Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed JavaScript Popup Blocker.

You are welcome.  I don't recall it giving me any hassles.  Hopefully it will work as well for you.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 06:59 PM »
You are welcome.  I don't recall it giving me any hassles.  Hopefully it will work as well for you.
Well, it seems to be working fine and is relatively unobtrusive. One can see it in action as the annoying pop-ups and masking screens that one is accustomed to seem to momentarily appear/flicker and then are gone. I'm not sure how it works, but it rather looks as though the offending script might be being defeated after the annoyance has been initially written/output to the screen display buffer.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 03:24 AM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 10:35 PM »
@panzer:
https://www.purevpn.com/badadjohnny

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 06:50 AM »
RedMorph:
https://redmorph.com/
https://redmorph.com/downloads.html
https://chrome.googl...klpejkcliiloniceahdo

So basically the same as WindScribe, free/paid VPN with browser extension.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Email this:
https://chrome.googl...fnlefhnnpppndbbjallh

Extension Boilerplate - foundation for building cross browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox & Opera from a single code base (olny a sample extension):
https://github.com/E...xtension-boilerplate

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 10:08 AM »
@panzer:
Email this:
https://chrome.googl...fnlefhnnpppndbbjallh
Extension Boilerplate - foundation for building cross browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox & Opera from a single code base (olny a sample extension):
https://github.com/E...xtension-boilerplate

The email this extension looks rather good.
I was interested in it as I have had difficulty finding a replacement for the FF (Firefox) add-on Scrapbook, and email this could be an alternative (maybe better than ReadItLater, etc.).
However, what I am wanting is a copy of the full web page - i.e., including all items on the webpage - diagrams, photos, embedded links, even embedded/linked .ZIP, .exe, or .PDF files. (Scrapbook can do this).

As a potential alternative to Scrapbook, I have a provisional workaround in Slimjet, using the right-click menu option Save As, which provides the web page only, as a single file, saved in .mhtml format - which is highly compressed (compared to the .htm format) and can be read by most/any browser-reading tool  - including @skwire's excellent Mass HTML Viewer (refer Efficiently view set of .htm files, one after another)

This Save As functionality requires the Chrome extensions SingleFile and SingleFile Core.

These web page files can be saved to a directory on the local client, which can be (say) connected to a Cloud folder and accessed from any device. On a Windows client, the files can be indexed/searched by WDS (Windows Desktop Search), so file management, retrieval and access is performed using Windows Explorer and is actually simpler and more reliable than using the Scrapbook File Manager and Search tools - which can only be used in the FF browser and are slow as all heck, though there is the benefit of being able to make notes that are attached to (go with) the saved pages.
Using the NTFS as the database seems simpler than locking the data into some kind of proprietary tool (e.g., FF Scrapbook, or Zotero - both of which are rather similar in that they use similar code for copying web pages WebPageDump).

Anyway, having read this, if you come across anything that might be able to help further with this in Slimjet, then I'd be grateful if you would link to it in this thread. (Thanks.)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 08:12 AM »
@panzer:
https://www.purevpn.com/badadjohnny

So, how is Johnny doing? Is it good or not?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2017, 10:44 AM »
@panzer: BadAdJohnny seems to be working quite well, so far. No reason to nix it anyway, so I shall leave it installed.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08 AM »
@panzer: BadAdJohnny seems to be working quite well, so far. No reason to nix it anyway, so I shall leave it installed.

I wonder how does it compare to ublock origin ...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 11:57 AM »
@panzer:
...I wonder how does it compare to ublock origin ...
I dunno. I thought about it, but ended up not trialling ublock origin - I recall thinking that it might take a bit too much time/trouble to install and use, so wished to avoid another potential time-bandit.
Maybe someone in the DC Forum has already trialled both and could write up a quick comparison, or maybe there's a comparison or review online that will do the job? I found several comparing ublock origin with others, but not BadAdJohnny (which seems to be a relative newcomer.).

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 12:25 PM »
@panzer:
...I wonder how does it compare to ublock origin ...
I dunno. I thought about it, but ended up not trialling ublock origin - I recall thinking that it might take a bit too much time/trouble to install and use, so wished to avoid another potential time-bandit.

I installed both on Slimjet. It looks like Johnny is a little bit faster detecting/disabling ads, and on some pages it finds more ads to block than ublock. If you click on Johnny's icon, then let say you click twice (to disable and enable) on stopping all ads, it starts talking (if you have sound on) :) .

I have no idea about memory footprint. Johnny is brand new, so there is no comparison against the others yet ...
I have Kmeleon with ABS, as Ublock origin can't be installed in KM.