ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (6/26) > >>

IainB:
Sobering post: 10 Chrome Extensions You Should Uninstall Right Now

AdBlock? - Oops!

MilesAhead:

AdBlock? - Oops!

-IainB (November 08, 2016, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting article.  Glad I was too lazy to install most of them.  :)

Although for me uBlock Origin was not a viable alternative.  The cure was worse than the disease.  Enough sites went weird with it running that I just got rid of it.

wraith808:

AdBlock? - Oops!

-IainB (November 08, 2016, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting article.  Glad I was too lazy to install most of them.  :)

Although for me uBlock Origin was not a viable alternative.  The cure was worse than the disease.  Enough sites went weird with it running that I just got rid of it.

-MilesAhead (November 09, 2016, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had the same problem- so I stick with uBlock, and it works for me.  Might want to try it.

Steven Avery:
> Although for me uBlock Origin was not a viable alternative.  The cure was worse than the disease.  Enough sites went weird with it running that I just got rid of it.

(Wait.. the below is for uMatrix!)

I think the trick, especially on youtube sites which should have a global allow somehow, is to quickly hit the block and either make one or two reds green (frame and all) which still leaves nonsense things like google-analytics blocked. Or simply disable (top, toward the left.) The point is that if you have 15 or 20 websites open that are ok, they are far less likely to be scripting away to plunge your firefox into darkeness.  A reasonable trade-off.

If I remember, I dumped uBlock Origin also.

Steven

dr_andus:
I like uBlock Origin. I find it a lot faster than AdBlock Plus, and extremely effective in blocking advertising.

It's true that at times it can be oversensitive, such as with complex webpages when they try to load combo boxes into an existing page, or with certain shopping cart pages, but I just learnt to untick it for those particular pages only.

To specifically control ads and annoying behaviour on YouTube I recommend "Magic Actions for YouTube." It gives you a lot of options to select or deselect individual YouTube features.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version