ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 8 is just a Service/crapware pack for Windows 7

<< < (10/11) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Pursuant to another thread can we bring this back on topic please  :-*

40hz:
Ok people. Carol has spoken!  :tellme: ;D ;)

Back on topic:

Some additional observations at Dedoimedo.com

Windows 8 Consumer Preview - One word: fail

By now, everyone and their grandmother have give you a politically correct review of what Windows 8 is all about, replete with lovely screenshots taken in virtual machines. While busy fellating Microsoft, they seem to have forgotten to give you an honest, real take on how you, the consumer, will handle this new operating system.

I really liked the early, Developer Preview version, and even dedicated some four articles explaining how to disable Metro, how to use the built-in recovery options and how to tweak the system to your liking. But now, Windows 8 is facing 180 degrees from where it's been just a few short months back. So let me show what the Consumer Preview is really all about, on a physical machine.

--- End quote ---

One comment brought a chuckle when I read it. It points out something that has been given insufficient emphasis IMO in many editorials and reviews. And that's the fact that creating things and making money becomes much more difficult when you transition from using a full computer to using an appliance-like content delivery device.

Whereas the traditional PC goal was to encourage creation and full engagement from the end user, the new devices seems more intent on programming their owners to consume and participate. But such participation will be restricted to officially sanctioned channels such as monitored chatrooms and large social networks...

OK, let me be blunt. No one is going to write their business PowerPoint presentations on a smartphone. No one is going to design a new car on a tablet. No one will run protein folding on their smartphone. No one will play ArmA II on a smartphone. No one will use those little bricks of plastic diarrhea for anything more than updating the status of their miserable existence on some social network. Mindless drones worldwide will bend over for you, but they will not bring you any cash, because mindless drones earn less than smart people. If you think smartphones are the future rather than yet another complimentary piece of electronics for your household repertoire of pr0n devices, then you should probably go to a weapons store, buy a pistol, buy one bullet, chamber the bullet, cock the weapon, flip the safety pin down, aim for your already lobotomized forehead, and pull the trigger.
--- End quote ---

I loved that one!

Anyway, you can read the full article here.

Carol Haynes:
Balancing article on ZDNet:

Full article

Not sure I agree with him (and ZDNet do seem to be MS apologists these days).

40hz:
^Hmm...maybe that's a slightly politer way of saying "just lie back and enjoy it" huh?

BTW: That's pretty much what Microsoft's main talking point was at CeBIT: "Don't fight it. You can't stop it. And too bad if you don't like it." Interesting that Hess' cap comment so closely follows official Microsoft wording.

I think ZDNet has largely become a shill for Microsoft. Something I've said for the last several years now. Call it "enlightened self-interest" I suppose. If Big Red tanked tomorrow they'd all have to go find real jobs over at Ziff.
 8)

frogmanalien:
I kind of agree with a lot of the opinions being offered here... but it's a real shame. I don't like the tile UI that much, and I certainly don't like the weirdness of the "start menu"- but I'm glad to see Microsoft innovating/trying something different- just like with Windows Phone (which also looks to be a flop) they're actually standing out from the rest of the crowd and doing something unusual with their OS.

I initially struggled with the Ribbon (and there's a great post here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/2008/03/12/the-story-of-the-ribbon.aspx about it) - but there's two reasons why I came to settle down with it- use and acceptance that I'm not all IT users. You've got to use it day-in, day-out in order to BREAK the habit of the old system- and that's the main reason people become efficient with desktop/office OS (come on, how many of us really associate scissors with moving text on a written page- an appalling visual metaphor!). And I also realised I'm a power user, and I'm happy with shortcut keys and such like therefore changes in UI probably aren't aimed at me- they're aimed at people who haven't used computers for years, or are young and developing their skills.

Now Windows 8 offers a similarly scary set of changes - some of which are double-edged swords (new ui: new learning curve, but a change to make tablet PC's work like desktops; new marketplace: a secure way to get apps to people (and to get people to pay for them- great for donation coders, surely!), but with Microsoft vetting)- but I'm excited about change!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version