ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 8 is just a Service/crapware pack for Windows 7

<< < (6/11) > >>

Innuendo:
I don't want to reopen the can of worms but I really can't see why people are still upset about ribbons. Having been using then now for 5 years (!) I have to say I wouldn't want to go back to the bloody silly toolbars in Office 2003 and earlier.
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

These days the only people who gripe about the ribbons are people who never gave it an honest chance & are dead-set against change. Coincidentally, those people usually refuse to move away from the Classic Start Menu interface and/or are Linux users (Sorry, Zaine!).

If you put some time into re-learning the way the program works with the ribbon interface you will most assuredly have a bit of a hard time adapting, but once you have, you will find yourself accomplishing things faster than you could with the old 2003-style menus.

wraith808:
Brad Wardell of Stardock Lays into Microsoft over Windows 8 in Annual Customer Report (via Shacknews)

Wardell also lays into Microsoft's new operating system, Windows 8, claiming that it "will be considered a general failure" if it doesn't fix a few user interface issues: being unable to run entirely as a regular desktop without Metro; having no "realistic" way to organise Metro programs; and relying users to mouse-over elements to find out what they are.

Of course, Stardock will have quite strong opinions in this frield, as it makes a vast array of programs tweaking the Windows interface. Still, Wardell is concerned that Windows 8 might be so offputting that people simply won't switch, and there'll be no market to sell its tools to.

--- End quote ---

mahesh2k:
These days the only people who gripe about the ribbons are people who never gave it an honest chance & are dead-set against change. Coincidentally, those people usually refuse to move away from the Classic Start Menu interface and/or are Linux users (Sorry, Zaine!).
--- End quote ---

Are you kidding? I am sure you never heard about HUD and Gnome3 interface, LIbre ribbon interface. Linux users are also equally annoyed at some of the changes which are made for the sake of it. As for not giving a chance, you're seriously assuming that people who type 1500+ words per hour on word processor are going to push cut or paste icons instead of using shortkeys. Then again, you're making that point as if people who appreciate the ribbon interface are majority. I don't see DTP community making that sort of claim. Using shiny stuff that does nothing better over a shortkey is just distraction. What ribbon interface offers better over menus and shortkeys? Is CTR+C and CTR+V less usable compared to clicking icon in ribbon? Let's face it, just because it is shiny and people are getting used to it because they have no choice in windows world doesn't mean they never tried it or head-set against it. Some things are just distractions. If ribbon were to be that productive I don't see same people making that remark against chrome (and now firefox) for getting rid of toolbar. They're also using single icon click menu and shortkeys for the operation and getting rid of shiny bloated toolbars. Making use of real-estate on bigger screen is two sword argument.

If you're going to offer linux users some bloated ribbon interface over more efficient text editors like vim/emacs then surely I find it hard to buy that type of argument. Shiny stuff like ribbon interface and metro for the sake of changes is clutter or distraction. It offers nothing usable. I am all eyes and ears to know what it offers better over menus and shortkeys.

Just because 100$ tablets are selling like hotcakes, company like Microsoft is losing it's attention over desktop market and assuming that even desktop is moving to tablets. I don't see cheap tablet displays to replace current LCD's. That part of future is still beyond the reach of average users pocket. If anyone is showing productivity using GIMP on 7'' tab then I must say hats off to that person. Biggest displays are made for the reason. That's why desktop market shouldn't be ignored. This is where microsoft is going to fail. Microsoft is trying to focus on tablets which is hardly going to make any difference to portable/desktop market. Tablet trend and mobile apps stuff is fad, it has nothing to offer to regular business or any type of serious work.

Carol Haynes:
As for not giving a chance, you're seriously assuming that people who type 1500+ words per hour on word processor are going to push cut or paste icons instead of using shortkeys.
-mahesh2k (March 24, 2012, 10:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since when have shortcuts not worked in Word? Cut and Paste keys are the same as for every other window's app.

Back on track - windows 8:

Have you noticed that you can't use cut and paste between desktop and Metro apps!!! Really useful!

Shades:
In the pre-ribbon days for most of what I did with MSOffice really took 2-3 clicks. Using the same functionality with the ribbon-versions of Office it takes 4-5 clicks to do exactly the same. That is my main gripe with the ribbon, although the lost screen estate comes as a very close second. Hiding it adds another click to the already impressive number of useless clicks necessary.

Really, the only reason why I still use MSOffice is the fact that the functionality I require is hidden behind even more clicks in LibreOffice. If they would fix that, I jump ship in an instant. I am all for change if it improves workflow, but for me the ribbon is not an improvement (at all), hence I don't want the change. Unfortunately I hardly have any choice in the matter.

And now...the Metro interface? Really? I have to give it to Microsoft, they managed to add insult to injury in a such a major way I never thought could be possible.

The only thing I am interested in are the new server editions from Windows. In a Microsoft video I saw some impressive functional (ribbon-less) improvements in that division. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version