ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Employers asking job seekers for Facebook passwords

<< < (2/7) > >>

Edvard:
Its wrong, but it's also hard to stand up for these things when your livelihood is on the line.
--- End quote ---

Bingo, I'm totally with you, and I feel very sorry for the poor saps that rolled over and gave it up.
BUT, call me a whatever you call those sorts of people, but a line MUST be drawn, or the tin-foil hat crowd is right, and this country is turning into a communist regime run by a trifecta of banks, big government, and multinational corporations and we are just little piggies that must be hiding something if we refuse to be probed.

Oh, wait...  :huh:

On second thought, screw those poor saps that caved, they deserve every bit of humiliation they're entitled to.
It's because of that attitude that our personal freedoms in this country and others are eroding faster than we can secure it.
Keep up the pretenses of a rotten economy, and people will be willing to part with every drop of integrity they once held so dear, in exchange for crumbs of safety and security.

At least, that's my opinion. :mad:

40hz:

It's because of that attitude that our personal freedoms in this country and others are eroding faster than we can secure it.
Keep up the pretenses of a rotten economy, and people will be willing to part with every drop of integrity they once held so dear, in exchange for crumbs of safety and security.

At least, that's my opinion. :mad:
-Edvard (March 21, 2012, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mine too. It's a hard truth, but there's no way to buy yourself out of that sort of abuse. The more you're willing to give up, the more the demands will keep escalating.

I've always maintained there's two general types of people you'll find in any negotiation. One type sees a concession as part of the give and take that occurs when there's some degree of respect between the two parties involved. The other type sees any concession as a sign of weakness - and immediately goes for the jugular vein.

And as far as economic justifications go, about all I can say (having on more than one occasion made what many would consider a "bad economic decision" based purely on principle) is at least try not to sell yourself out too cheaply. Not that it will ultimately matter. Because:

"In an ugly and unhappy world the richest man can purchase nothing but ugliness and unhappiness." - G.G. Shaw

wraith808:
It's easy to say that until its you, and you're the one in a bad spot.

If you're able to back out of such a deal, then great... but don't look down on those who can't afford that type of stance.  Especially when you have a family to support...  Pyrrhic victory and all...  :huh:

daddydave:
As an unemployed job seeker, and a healthy proponent of privacy, this impacts me directly.
What will I say if (when?) I am asked this?...

When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

--- End quote ---

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017794577_apusjobapplicantsfa
(see attachment in previous post)
N.
O.
Period.
My Facebook password is the functional equivalent to the front door to my house.
You do not have any right to come through it unless you are invited by me or are a vetted authority with the proper search warrants.
As bad as I'd like a job right now, I'm with the first guy; do I really want to work for somebody with a cavalier attitude about invading my personal space?

I just told you the answer.  :mad:

from the Seattle Times

-Edvard (March 21, 2012, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

App had posted something about this on Google+, and then I heard it again on NPR. This is pure evil. I hope and pray I am never so desperate for work, that I would have any response other than something to the extent of "Sorry, I thought you were a legitimate company, but you've wasted my time. Good-bye."

We now have the opportunity to write our elected representatives, to have it added to the list of prohibited questions to ask during interviews, like religion, marital status, etc. I can't imagine on what grounds it would be objected to by any political party. Making it illegal won't stop it altogether, of course, but should put a dent in it. I don't know that there is an epidemic of this kind of thing out there, but may as well "nip it in the bud" as we say where I'm from.

done editing I think ;)

skwire:
I had a prospective client ask if he could friend me on Facebook. Supposedly to "better keep in touch."

I told him I didn't have a Facebook account. Or a Twitter account. Or a Google+ account. (I really don't BTW.) I told him I basically don't like social media and don't participate in any of it. I offered him my e-mail address instead.
-40hz (March 21, 2012, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would have to say the same thing as well as I have none of those types of social media accounts, either.  Maybe, in addition to email, we could offer, say, an IRC channel instead?   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version