ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Employers asking job seekers for Facebook passwords

(1/7) > >>

Edvard:
As an unemployed job seeker, and a healthy proponent of privacy, this impacts me directly.
What will I say if (when?) I am asked this?...

When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

--- End quote ---

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017794577_apusjobapplicantsfa

N.
O.
Period.
My Facebook password is the functional equivalent to the front door to my house.
You do not have any right to come through it unless you are invited by me or are a vetted authority with the proper search warrants.
As bad as I'd like a job right now, I'm with the first guy; do I really want to work for somebody with a cavalier attitude about invading my personal space?

I just told you the answer.  :mad:

from the Seattle Times

wraith808:
Yeah... I saw that.  Its wrong, but it's also hard to stand up for these things when your livelihood is on the line.  My solution (and it's been my solution before this problem) is the reduction of internet footprint.  My name is in little use on the internet- I live behind my S/N.  So when asked for something like this, I'd say, "I don't have one."

40hz:
Doesn't surprise me.

I had a prospective client ask if he could friend me on Facebook. Supposedly to "better keep in touch."

I told him I didn't have a Facebook account. Or a Twitter account. Or a Google+ account. (I really don't BTW.) I told him I basically don't like social media and don't participate in any of it. I offered him my e-mail address instead.

His reaction was interesting. Without coming right out and saying it, he implied I was lying to him. "Everybody has a Facebook account," he told me. When I said "not me" he smiled and said, "Yeah right."

I didn't get the project that day. But I did add a new name to my 'bozo' list. About 3 months later, when he called me back about something else, I told him I was too busy to take on any additional projects at that point.

He hasn't called me since. I guess he got the message. 8)

I wonder if he said anything about it on Facebook?   :P

rgdot:
I wonder of he said anything about it on Facebook?   :P
-40hz (March 21, 2012, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

"I was going to spam him but it didn't work"

:D

40hz:
I wonder of he said anything about it on Facebook?   :P
-40hz (March 21, 2012, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

"I was going to spam him but it didn't work"

:D
-rgdot (March 21, 2012, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah...well...maybe I did give him one of our throwaway e-mail accounts because of his tone. And the way the meeting was going. Figured I could always give him one of our 'real client' mailbox addresses later on if he ever became one.
 ;D 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version