topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Employers asking job seekers for Facebook passwords  (Read 25282 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Employers asking job seekers for Facebook passwords
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Even though I don't have a Facebook account, this is good news.  However, the first comment (by jpaugh) after that article says it all:

"It's sad that they had to pass a bill for this kind of thing. If an employer asks for your Facebook password, whoever came up with the idea should be fired immediately. I'm tired of seeing all these stupid laws pop up that should well be covered by common sense."

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Even though I don't have a Facebook account

Wait...then who do I have on my friends list?!?!?!? uh oh....

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Wait...then who do I have on my friends list?!?!?!? uh oh....

Not me...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 09:58 AM »
  If nothing else I can add a quote that pretty much spells it out:
Benjamin Franklin said it best..."Those who give up their freedom in the name of security deserve neither freedom nor security."

+100 (check my sig ;) )

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

magician62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 02:48 PM »
This follows the practice of employers asking what you earned in your last job.

The answer is NO, when they ask why, you say it was in the contract you had with your previous employer that you not disclose the information, and you assume they have similar terms. And if they still insist on knowing, point out that as they have no regard for legal contracts, they are implying they will accept without contention you telling any future employer what they paid.

It falls into the category of '"If I told you, I would have to kill you" :)
Why an I Magician62? Because Magician1 thru 61 were gone. :)

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 11:16 AM »
I know this has been brought up in a few discussions I've seen- employers regularly snooping on people's facebook info and prohibiting people from complaining about their jobs or co-workers. I honestly call foul at that level- freedom of speech means people have a right to complain about their jobs or their coworkers as long as they are not doing so at the company's expense or on the company's scheduled time.

This? I would honestly refuse to provide it, and if they refused the application on that basis I would contact a lawyer to represent me in a legal suit of cyberdiscrimination against them for it. They have no right to intervene in my personal affairs, and the management that thinks they do should be fired.

Besides, the only facebook account I have is for my own company. If they really wanted to see how little was in it, they would first have to sign a nondisclosure agreement under my company's name in order for me to give them permission to access any of that information.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:29 AM by SeraphimLabs »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 11:33 AM »

This? I would honestly refuse to provide it, and if they refused the application on that basis I would contact a lawyer to represent me in a legal suit of cyberdiscrimination against them for it. They have no right to intervene in my personal affairs, and the management that thinks they do should be fired.

-SeraphimLabs (May 05, 2012, 11:16 AM)

Nah, see that's already too much work. If you have to sue to get hired, they're already going to hate you and if they ever do hire you, they'll sabotage you anyway.

I know the economy sux, but a company that wants your facebook password (!!) is going to trash you anyway.

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 12:15 PM »

Nah, see that's already too much work. If you have to sue to get hired, they're already going to hate you and if they ever do hire you, they'll sabotage you anyway.

I know the economy sux, but a company that wants your facebook password (!!) is going to trash you anyway.

By that point I wouldn't want to work for them anyway. I'd make the case against their policies, but then not accept the job offer because of the risks attached. Besides, if the case is won it would have enough of a payout to not need a job for a while. I'd have time to find somewhere else to work.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26 PM »

By that point I wouldn't want to work for them anyway. I'd make the case against their policies, but then not accept the job offer because of the risks attached. Besides, if the case is won it would have enough of a payout to not need a job for a while. I'd have time to find somewhere else to work.
-SeraphimLabs (May 05, 2012, 12:15 PM)

I dunno about the use of hiring suits to create cash, that feels dubious. I'd just ditch it early on and move to the next company.