topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Steam URL Converter  (Read 41105 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Steam URL Converter
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Name Steam URL Converter
Short Description Steam allows you to create shortcuts on your desktop to launch games.  However, these shortcuts are not standard Windows .LNK files.  They are .URL files and, sometimes, they don't show the proper icon for the intended game even if the .URL file contains the correct information.  This app tries to solve the issue by converting the .URL shortcut into a .LNK shortcut.  Simply drag the .URL file onto the SteamURLConverter.exe file and it will immediately create a .LNK file in the same folder as the .URL file.
Supported OSes All Windows
Web Page Website
Download Link Download
Author Jody Holmes - Skwire Empire
Credits Special thanks to lanux128 for the original idea.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:27 PM by skwire »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steam URL Converter
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 05:10 AM »
thanks to skwire for this tool. :up:

the Steam shortcuts are a bit wonky on my PC, they always get the IE's globe icon instead of the actual icon. this tool helps to fix that, also it's easier to input command-line parameters on an .lnk file than an .url one. :)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 08:45 AM »
This is extremely convenient!  NICE!  Thanks so much.

jockovonred

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Nice idea for a tool!  One of my quirks with the way Steam modified the lnk files into their new format has been a bugger for me.  I am excited to find this tool.

Thanks.!

I am going to test this one out tonight.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Great.  Let me know what the results are.  =]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 12:30 AM »
Website | Download
v1.0.2 - 2014-11-07
    + Added a "Remove Send to... shortcut" button.  (Thanks, Valentin)

v1.0.1 - 2013-12-23
    * Changed up initial interface seen when launching the SteamURLConverter and
      added a button which will add a shortcut to your "Send to..." folder.

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Short Description Steam allows you to create shortcuts on your desktop to launch games.  However, these shortcuts are not standard Windows .LNK files.  They are .URL files and, sometimes, they don't show the proper icon for the intended game even if the .URL file contains the correct information.  This app tries to solve the issue by converting the .URL shortcut into a .LNK shortcut.  Simply drag the .URL file onto the SteamURLConverter.exe file and it will immediately create a .LNK file in the same folder as the .URL file.
Supported OSes All Windows

I have just tried it (Win7) but does work partially ONLY; it creates the Shortcut, but if I double click it,
nothing happenes (System Explorer showes me that Steam gets started) bat that is it, th egame won't start!  :(

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Works here for me using W7/64 Ultimate.  The account I use has administrator rights and UAC is set to "Never notify" (if that matters).

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Works here for me using W7/64 Ultimate.  The account I use has administrator rights and UAC is set to "Never notify" (if that matters).

I might try that too.
Thanks

MrZoolook

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:08 AM »
For what it's worth, it appears to work on my Win7 setup. I also noticed you can bulk select a whole group of shortcuts, and use the tool on them all in one hit!

Very well done. I only have a hundred or so games, and I wasn't looking forward to doing this s**t manually, so I can't imagine how it'd be for anyone with more then that. Why the hell don't steam do it like this to begin with!?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Hi, MrZoolook, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :)

For what it's worth, it appears to work on my Win7 setup. I also noticed you can bulk select a whole group of shortcuts, and use the tool on them all in one hit!

It's nice when a plan comes together, eh?

Very well done. I only have a hundred or so games, and I wasn't looking forward to doing this s**t manually, so I can't imagine how it'd be for anyone with more then that. Why the hell don't steam do it like this to begin with!?

Well, I think it has to do with the fact that using the URL format is supposed to be just that, universal.  This means they can use this format on different platforms (Linux and Mac) without much internal code differences.  That is, I don't think that Linux and Mac support Windows LNK files.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 01:47 AM »
This works for me as far as converting the link to an actual shortcut. But it doesn't work for making the icons appear. It seems the shortcuts look in the standard Program Files directory for Steam and the icons, even though I have Steam installed elsewhere. :(

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 12:13 PM »
This works for me as far as converting the link to an actual shortcut. But it doesn't work for making the icons appear. It seems the shortcuts look in the standard Program Files directory for Steam and the icons, even though I have Steam installed elsewhere. :(

Strange...I don't appear to have that issue.  I'm using W7/64 with an account that has administrator rights.  If you open up the .URL file in a text editor, what does it have for the IconFile value?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16 PM »

Strange...I don't appear to have that issue.  I'm using W7/64 with an account that has administrator rights.  If you open up the .URL file in a text editor, what does it have for the IconFile value?

Looking through a few of them, they have the Program Files path. So I guess it's no fault of your program at all. Thanks. :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Looking through a few of them, they have the Program Files path. So I guess it's no fault of your program at all. Thanks. :)

Try right-clicking a game, creating a new desktop shortcut, and then checking the path in the new .URL.  If it's correct, then try using SteamURLConverter to create a .LNK out of it.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 07:00 PM »

Try right-clicking a game, creating a new desktop shortcut, and then checking the path in the new .URL.  If it's correct, then try using SteamURLConverter to create a .LNK out of it.

That would have worked, but I just opened them all up in Notepad++ and did a mass find/replace to change the path in all of them. :Thmbsup:

That said, some of them still don't have icons because there are no icon files in that directory for those games. And even doing as you suggested (at least for the one I tried) doesn't create an icon file, and just had a blank path for the icon in the .URL file. Weird.

I'm not too worried about "fixing" this. Just reporting here for the sake of completeness.