topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA to automate few tasks for new installed windows xp sp3  (Read 10311 times)

3dpinballchamp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
for windows xp sp3 after a clean install i have to do this:

change clock to 12 hour format
set location (country)
show hidden files and folders.
unhide exensions for known file types.
unhide protected operating system files.

useful if app when opened with list of all the above with check-boxes next to each item to select or not,
and then to click it to do all the tasks without have to go to each separately in the control panel

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA to automate few tasks for new installed windows xp sp3
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:22 AM »
2 possible solutions:
- Create an image right after you've done all updates and settings, and restore that next time you need a refresh
- Use the Microsoft supplied install automation tooling (WAIK is the keyword I guess) if you need to run it on different hardware

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:54 AM »
Go to the site that hosts a piece of software called: nLite

Its free, powerful and can do everything you want and so much more. It will create a new installation disc that is all setup as you want, which will eliminate (a lot of) the hassle of afterwards configuring Windows behavior.

Made quite a few of these discs already, which install XP SPIII 'fresh' in about 20 to 25 minutes, without any interaction on my part.

Slightly off-topic:
Because of the above I am actually thinking that it would be more practical (and maybe faster) to be able to reconstruct your Windows installation instead of backing it up...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:13 AM »
+1 for nLite :up:, should have been my 3rd option  ;)

3dpinballchamp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:28 AM »
i know waik and nlite  my install is fully automated install using winnt.sif file
i used the tool which comes with windows install cd inside the TOOLS/DEPLOY.CAB
but i do not know how to add these options in it (what i write inside first post)

3dpinballchamp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07 AM »
so nobody can make it?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:38 AM »
I have also thought that a tool like this for post-installation configuration would be nice.

When I looked into configuring various options I was interested in, I did not always succeed in determining methods for configuration that didn't involve trying to "automate" pointing device movements and clicking to interface with various dialog boxen.  I didn't feel that was a very robust method so I didn't pursue it further.

I'm looking forward to something being suggested in this thread that already handles this type of situation well -- or if that doesn't happen, perhaps some kind of extendable tool being developed.

On a side note, for the case of Windows Explorer, Windows 7's version was what finally drove me away to consider an alternative application -- one which I can tweak the settings for and easily backup / restore.  I'm currently testing Double Commander, CubicExplorer, and FreeCommander XE for this purpose.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 05:27 AM »
change clock to 12 hour format
set location (country)
show hidden files and folders.
unhide exensions for known file types.
unhide protected operating system files.
-3dpinballchamp (March 20, 2012, 03:54 AM)

By default Windows installs with the clock in 12 hour format, (h.mm.ss tt), I always have to change it to 24 hour format, (HH.mm).

You can use nlite to set all the rest, on the Unattended page you can set Location, Language and Localization:

2012-03-21_20-32-42.jpgIDEA to automate few tasks for new installed windows xp sp3

On the Tweaks page you can set the Explorer settings:

2012-03-21_20-34-11.jpgIDEA to automate few tasks for new installed windows xp sp3

As Shades and Ath suggest, I recommend you use nlite to set up your installation disc how you want it, it is so much easier than doing it any other way.

If you want to use a registry file:

This location sets the country, (in this case "12" = Australia, "14"=Austria), see what yours is and change accordingly:

Code: Text [Select]
  1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
  3. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\International\Geo]
  4. "Nation"="12"

The Explorer options you mention can be set with:

1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
  3. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
  4. "HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
  5. "Hidden"=dword:00000001
  6. "SuperHidden"=dword:00000000
  7. "ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000001

One doubleclick on the file after installation will let you merge it and that takes care of 4/5 of your list.

I have also thought that a tool like this for post-installation configuration would be nice.

But they're already there, in the Control Panel applications.  The problem with doing a 'one Control Panel thing' is that, who decides what should be included?

One person might want Time/Date settings, another might not - to cater to everyone you'd have to combine all the Control Panel applications into just one humongous unmanageable one.

It is so much easier to create your installation media how you want it, (using WAIK, nlite, vlite, rt7lite, etc), and not have to do any tweaking after installation.

Your suggestion of the extensible program might sound good but for the person who has to write it, he's just going to be duplicating all the functions found in the separate Control Panel applications as plugins for a single program.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:38 AM by 4wd »

3dpinballchamp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 05:36 AM »
i will look at nLite and see which lines it adds to a winnnt.sif file and i will copy it to my mine.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:51 AM »
i will look at nLite and see which lines it adds to a winnnt.sif file and i will copy it to my mine.
-3dpinballchamp (March 22, 2012, 05:36 AM)

It doesn't add any extra lines to winnt.sif apart from that which are part of the normal winnt.sif commands/options, (eg. timezone, language, etc).

For any tweaks and things which require something more involved, (such as setting the Explorer options you want), it adds a file to the $OEM$ directory of the install media called cmdlines.txt which contains:

1. [Commands]
  2. "rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"

This calls the nlite.inf, (compressed as nlite.in_), file in the i386 directory during installation which contains changes to the registry and other options you choose, (none of which can be 'just' copied to the winnt.sif file.

For everything you ever wanted to know about unattended and customised installations, you really can't go past MSFN's Unattended Windows tutorials.

shmuel1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 11:21 AM »
I think the 2nd idea in Reply #7 by 4wd is the simplest solution. To make a registry editing file you just type text in a text file, give the file a .reg extension, then double-click the file on the computer that you want to set up.

The format is pretty simple. You need Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 at the top of the file, a blank line, then the registry location you want to edit, then the items within that location that you want to edit and their values. In between two or more registry locations, you need to leave a blank line.

I think this should work for you on XP:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
"iTime"="0"
"iTLZero"="0"
"sTimeFormat"="h:mm:ss tt"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\Geo]
"Nation"="12"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
"Hidden"=dword:00000001
"SuperHidden"=dword:00000000
"ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000001

Take this code and paste it into a text file with a .reg extension.

Edit "Nation"="12"
Replace the 12 with your country's value.
Here's a list of country values:
http://msdn.microsof...ibrary/ms912039.aspx

Here's a link that explains .reg files in detail:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516