topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: One-hit wonders  (Read 7050 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One-hit wonders
« on: April 02, 2006, 05:48 PM »
Victoria Shannon takes a look at two one-hit wonders in a "where are they now" column which caught my eye. I think one of the biggest one-hit wonders that never survived was one of the first PIMs, Ecco Pro. Only Microsoft OneNote has been able to match its outlining abilities. Some claim that Ecco Pro never died.

What other one-hit tech or software wonders have you come across (alive or dead)?

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
Re: One-hit wonders
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 05:21 PM »
It's amazing!  I read this the other day and was highly interested.  Then today, at another forum, I saw an old post where someone was saying how utterly fantastic Ecco Pro was.....so I go searching on it and find this write-up - heck, I'm drooling now!  If I could just be sure it would work with Windows 2000, I'd get it right now! 

Well, one wonder I know of, half alive and half dead (because it's now a more advanced version and no longer freeware, is RegCleaner.  I like the old version of it much, much better than the later ones, and I still use it.  You can still get the freeware version, too - here  It's been a long time, but I believe the later was JV16 Power Tools.  As I said, I prefer the older version. 

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:11 PM »
RegCleaner is similar to XP Smoker — two of the most powerful and scary apps every built. Another program that was fantastic was FixLinks by Stratopoint Software. That program would take your entire website, examine every link and determine if it was valid, and if it wasn't, you could set it to find the new webpage and fix the dead link for you. It was amazing! When I had my Great Books site fully linked with ebooks, that was a lifesaver. But once it faded out, I had to revert to a mere list.

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Hi,

I doubt that the term "one-hit wonders" is a good choice, regarding that most formerly successful but now almost-forgotten programs went through several iterations to become exactly that, successful (not MS-scale, but somehow), and then abandoned.

Regarding Ecco Pro, it was at v. 4 when it was cancelled (in 1997), and you can get it as a free download from NetManage, who own it (http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp). The support page http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ecco/ is still online. There is still a very active user group at Yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eccopro/), many members run it on Windows 2000 and XP, and some are looking into using it on Vista. There are several other sites dedicated to Ecco Pro. Seemingly it is possible to sync it (basic PIM data) to Palms, but that may break any time. Pocket PCs are another matter, entirely. Ecco Pro had been a big subject on another great site, outliners.com, that just folded recently.

There were some efforts to open-source it , but none were successful (maybe the reason was the database behind it).

I have to say that I took several attempts to really understand that app. I have two thick ring binders full of materials that you can still get online. Great concept. Wish it were still alive.

Having not a lot of experience with the great apps before the all-Microsoft-age, I can only do some kind of software archaeology, but I might throw some other names into the discussion: VisiCalc, Lotus Agenda, Lotus Improv, Lotus Magellan, Lotus 1-2-3, Word Perfect, dbase. X-Tree. Norton Commander. A lot of other things symantec-ed, perhaps (Grandview?).

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Oh, I forgot: The only well-known bug in Ecco Pro is that it doesn't accept recurring events after 12/31/1999 easily (there is some workaround I can't describe exactly, as I don't know the program by heart; I'm yet another corporate Outlook victim).

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 05:34 PM »
How about Jeskola Buzz?
http://en.wikipedia..../wiki/Buzz_(software)
I heard about it around the same time Oskari's hard drive melted, wiping out all the sources. Now it's a rather large community of die-hard fans keeping it (barely) alive.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Does Sonique count. I loved that mp3 player but internal problems (Lycos sacking the origional authors I believe) ment v2 never got out of beta.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 06:10 PM »
I remember Sonique! There are some one-hit wonders that might be classified as blunders, too. I'm thinking of Onfolio. Great program, but I've never met anyone who uses it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:12 AM »
I'm thinking of Onfolio. Great program, but I've never met anyone who uses it.

Onfolio is now free; see DC https://www.donation...62.msg24223#msg24223

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 11:33 AM »
It's amazing!  I read this the other day and was highly interested.  Then today, at another forum, I saw an old post where someone was saying how utterly fantastic Ecco Pro was.....so I go searching on it and find this write-up - heck, I'm drooling now!  If I could just be sure it would work with Windows 2000, I'd get it right now! 

Well Harrie,

I can assure you that Ecco Pro works fine in Windows XP. And I'm a long-time user and a victim of Outlook killing Ecco Pro's development when it came out free then.

I've been looking for a better and flexible outliner ever since that would have a similar functionality like Ecco Pro but dispite many years of searching, have never found anything close to Ecco with it's flexibility.

I still use it especially when I out to do outlining, given it's capability. But it's more powerful than that. But to be frank, since it's no longer being developed, I decided that it would not make sense to keep using it as a PIM and put lots of data, contacts etc in it.

So much as I would not like to admit it, I use Outlook to keep contacts, calendaring etc, not so much because it's good, but because it's unlikely to die on me. But for outlining, Ecco anytime or the new upstarts like www.mylifeorganized.net

But if you are also a Pocketpc user, Ecco is dead in the water for you as it only syncs with Palm. And that is another bummer for me.

Inspite of that, I still use Ecco - for Outlining and processing my thoughts.