ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Encrypted DNS queries via OpenDNS dnscrypt for Windows / linux / BSD / iOS / OSX

<< < (7/11) > >>

IainB:
Will the DNS Crypt ("client") software play nice with the MS DNS server service, and only encrypt the forwarded (external domain) requests?
-Stoic Joker (May 18, 2012, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Suck-it-and-see?

Stoic Joker:
Will the DNS Crypt ("client") software play nice with the MS DNS server service, and only encrypt the forwarded (external domain) requests?
-Stoic Joker (May 18, 2012, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Suck-it-and-see?
-IainB (May 18, 2012, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Time is a factor - Between work and some recent family issues I have none - I was hoping someone else had taken a crack at it. I can't risk knocking my lab offline right now. *Sigh*

(on a brighter note...) The OpenDNS account UI is quite nice. I've been using it successfully for a few years to manage web filtering for client networks. Between UAC, MSE, & OpenDNS the bugg problem is pretty much licked.

Carol Haynes:
I have DNS Crypt running permanently and haven't noticed any web addresses that don't resolve properly - as far as I can tell it is totally transparent.

IainB:
There is quite a straightforward write-up in Lifehacker about this. Makes a good explanation and covers the need for protection against "DNS leak" on the last half-mile of the connection between you and your ISP, even when you are using a VPN.
Has lots of embedded px and links, so I did not copy it here.
Go read it at  How to Boost Your Internet Security with DNSCrypt

I have been using DNSCrypt continuously since it was implemented, and it seems trouble-free and almost transparent in use. A good layer of extra security in what is becoming an increasingly censored and hacked Internet.

Deozaan:
The main problem I have with DNSCrypt is that it pops up a UAC permission thing every time I boot my computer. And if I'm not there to click the button to give it permission, my computer does not have internet access. Normally this isn't a big problem, but in the case of power outages or whatever the case may be that my computer reboots while I'm not there, it means I can no longer remotely access my PC.

I wish there was a way to get DNSCrypt to run automatically without needing to manually click the go button each time my PC starts up. Other than that, it's mostly been pain free and transparent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version