ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Encrypted DNS queries via OpenDNS dnscrypt for Windows / linux / BSD / iOS / OSX

<< < (5/11) > >>

Deozaan:
I noticed one big problem with DNSCrypt: When I restart my computer, it requires admin permissions via UAC before it will run. This means that if I'm not there to click OK and grant permissions, then my computer can't connect to the internet.

IainB:
I noticed one big problem with DNSCrypt: When I restart my computer, it requires admin permissions via UAC before it will run. This means that if I'm not there to click OK and grant permissions, then my computer can't connect to the internet.
-Deozaan (May 16, 2012, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's odd. Doesn't seem to happen on a PC with Win7-64bit Home Premium. Seems to be completely transparent.

Carol Haynes:
It does on mine too - but then it doesn't seem to start with Windows without me putting the shortcut into the Startup folder.

Workaround is to add a scheduled task to start it on login and set the task permissions to administrator.

Deozaan:
It does on mine too - but then it doesn't seem to start with Windows without me putting the shortcut into the Startup folder.
-Carol Haynes (May 17, 2012, 03:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess I checked the box for "Start DNSScrypt when Windows starts" or something similar? It's in the Startup folder for me, and I know I didn't put it there after installation.

IainB:
I guess I checked the box for "Start DNSScrypt when Windows starts" or something similar? It's in the Startup folder for me, and I know I didn't put it there after installation.
-Deozaan (May 17, 2012, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, that might explain why others didn't get DNS Crypt starting on reboot/startup - they maybe hadn't ticked that option.
I didn't think to ask that question, having assumed that people would have ticked that option on install.
That's actually something to give feedback on to OpenDNS about DNS Crypt. It would be good if it were an option shown in the GUI under "General" (say).
There are two parts that need to be started - one is a Service, and the other is a client process.
(You also have to have configured your router for OpenDNS too, of course.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version