Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 08:44:34 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The start of the Start Button Menu things for Win8  (Read 3461 times)
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »

(As expected) Stardock have created Start8 to bring a bit of sanity back to Windows 8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It looks way too big, to me, as a menu to be of genuine help. I don't see the need for all the white space and the position of the scrollng menu bit (too far to the right). I suppose it's a start (no pun intended) for the start button menu clones.
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »

Around the same amount of time before Windows 7's release there was already a lot of excitement, I think time is running out for MS, third party tools can only do so much.

(btw I wonder if the creator of the 8Start launcher is inadvertently benefiting from this issue  cheesy )
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »

Just a plug that my LaunchBar Commander tool is quite happy to show the Start Menu contents as a menu in its dock.
hpearce
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »

I uninstalled Start8 and instead installed Classic Shell from sourceforge... I has a more standard start interfave for windows 8 in it's newest version.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/history.html

Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 06:49:14 PM »

A realistic question should be...

Why the hell do we even HAVE to resort to visual hacks just to do something as simple as get the start menu back?

For me, Windows 8 is a huge no-go.  It will fail as a Desktop OS, and it will fail as a Tablet OS.

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

jaden
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »

For me, Windows 8 is a huge no-go.  It will fail as a Desktop OS, and it will fail as a Tablet OS.

I agree.  A one-size fits all approach leaves both sides lacking basic features.  I hope Windows 8 dies a fast death.
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:44:53 PM »

Good old Classic Shell, second thing I install on a new Win7 machine. smiley

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
jaden
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

Now you've left us hanging  hanged- what's the first?

I install Google Chrome then Dropbox, where I keep all my essential portable utilities like FARR, FreeCommander, KeePass, Linkman, ClipX, Autohotkey, iDailyDiary,  Notepad++, Foobar2000, ActionOutline, and a few hundred more cheesy
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »

Firefox. smiley

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »

Firefox. smiley

I thought the first would have been Windows 7. . . huh tongue

Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »

A Win7 machine is called a Win7 machine because it has Win7.  tongue

- @VeryGrumpyCat
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 04:44:55 AM »

For me, Windows 8 is a huge no-go.  It will fail as a Desktop OS, and it will fail as a Tablet OS.

I think you're wrong there. Win8 will succeed because it's a step towards greater control over the user with less privacy. These are things that are being forced on us, and you will see glowing reviews for Win8 from everywhere.

It really will have no bearing on the UI. It's all about control. The Metro interface is more cloud oriented (or Internet oriented) with HTML5/JavaScript as the primary development tools. This is a step backwards as HTML5/JS are not well suited to write applications because they are simply far too CPU intensive compared to better tools like C++ or Delphi or whatever. So, you're going to lose power - which will drive computer sales as people need more RAM and more CPU to get less done. You're going to lose privacy as well as the network will basically strip any privacy that you had remaining. Google is your friend spymaster.

So while your computing experience deteriorates, and you lose your privacy, the corporate goons that profit off of you as "you are the product" - they will laugh all the way to the bank. Oh, did I mention that there is new legislation that encourages companies to spy on their customers and report "terrorists"? Yeah - Win8 will help there, but it won't help you.

And that's why Win8 will succeed - because it's bad for you and good for your slave overlords.

Wink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:52:49 AM by Renegade » Logged

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0.08 ]