ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Which decade was the most fun for you personally?

<< < (4/6) > >>

joiwind:
Definitely the 60's for me - I was 20 in 1969 but an early starter and growing up in Souf London : soul music, bluebeat, Mods, the Who, the Stones... In fact I was in school with David Bowie (but not in the same year) and Peter Frampton.
On the beaches in the early 60's with the Mods, going to Stones' concerts in 1965 ...
I could write a whole list of the groups I saw live during the 60's and early 70's, the big and small free festivals (I can proudly say that I was at the first Glastonbury festival (actually strictly speaking the second really as the first doesn't really count)), hanging out in the clubs, in Soho...
Lots of drugs, the International Times, Oz, the Whole Earth Catalog.  8)

I know this sounds like clichés but things were great then - people were much happier then than now, more carefree, more idealistic, more fraternal ... but it was all over by the middle 70's : hard drugs (the Devil's Spawn), hate, greed and glamour.

superboyac:
So...back to decades...

As a Laker fan, the 80s were good.  So were the 2000s, but not as good as the 80s even thought the championships numbered equal.  Better competition in the 80s.  Plus I'm ridiculously cynical about pro sports now.

Music...I tend to lean towards older is better.  But I'm weird that way.  Gimme acoustic instruments.

Of course, there's technology...and as far as computers go, the newer the better.  I love the media consumption.  On the other hand, I miss the social aspect of the inconveniences.  Nobody ever goes around anymore with a record in their hand saying "Hey!  Check this out!  Let's go listen to it!"  I miss that (even though I only caught the tail end of it).

Going out to the theater was way better in the 80s and 90s.  And from what I hear, it was even more exciting in previous decades.  The funnest movie experiences I ever had was watching the sneak previews on campus in college.

The one invention I am dying for and would instantly make the current decade the best ever:
automated in-home shirt ironing.  This is the last bit of technology I really need.  I hate ironing.  dry cleaning shirts is too expensive.  If anyone could figure out how to iron a dress shirt automatically that is affordable for normal people...well, that's a big one.

superboyac:
Definitely the 60's for me - I was 20 in 1969 but an early starter and growing up in Souf London : soul music, bluebeat, Mods, the Who, the Stones... In fact I was in school with David Bowie (but not in the same year) and Peter Frampton.
On the beaches in the early 60's with the Mods, going to Stones' concerts in 1965 ...
I could write a whole list of the groups I saw live during the 60's and early 70's, the big and small free festivals (I can proudly say that I was at the first Glastonbury festival (actually strictly speaking the second really as the first doesn't really count)), hanging out in the clubs, in Soho...
Lots of drugs, the International Times, Oz, the Whole Earth Catalog.  8)

I know this sounds like clichés but things were great then - people were much happier then than now, more carefree, more idealistic, more fraternal ... but it was all over by the middle 70's : hard drugs (the Devil's Spawn), hate, greed and glamour.
-joiwind (March 19, 2012, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Boy I really envy you guys that experienced the music scene in the 60s 70s.  I had a classic rock phase for several years, man that was good stuff.  It had the good balance of everything...powerful blues influence becoming popular, still largely acoustic with just a touch of the digital creeping in, still musical/lyrical, even the edgy stuff.

One thing I realized in college was that the classic rock people...how shall I say this...they weren't very good looking folk.  And that made it better!  Because after 1980, not only did you have to be talented, but you also had to be relatively good looking...and that just ruins it because you cut the talent pool by a whole bunch when you start considering looks.  I just want my music man!

I guess daltry's a good looking chap...but that's it.

superboyac:
Meet the new boss!  Same as the old boss!
 :(

40hz:
You know you're starting to get up there when you start sounding like your parents:

Parents: I miss the good old old days (40's). Those were  the war years (WWII) and the Big Band Era (Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller).

Me: I miss the good old days (late 60's-early 70's). Those were the war years (Viet Nam) and the Big Band Era (Tull, Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Faces, Hendrix, Joplin, Joe Cocker).

;D

Here's an eerie one for you entitled When I'm Sixty-four. Someone's idea of how things might have been if the Fates had fewer surprises in store for us. Like Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Which decade was the most fun for you personally?

(click to enlarge)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version