Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 02:02:45 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cell phone for trip to China  (Read 1624 times)
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »

I'm planning a trip to China in a few months, and my understanding is that my Verizon cell phone won't work in China (or if it does, it'll cost $1.50 per minute or more).

The little bit of research I've done indicates that I should be able to rent or buy a used GSM phone pretty inexpensively. But I find it unclear *exactly* what I'd need to buy (and I'd rather have the phones in-hand before I leave instead of waiting until I arrive, though any necessary SIM cards can probably wait until we arrive).

I'm also told that I can repurpose a T-Mobile phone by putting in a SIM card that I buy in China.  Will any of the pre-paid phones I can get here in the US (T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile USA, whatever) do that?  Are any of them GSM phones?

I really find all this cell-phone stuff confusing (I understand it's much simpler and cheaper outside the USA) - all I'd like is to be able to get two cell phones that I can use in China that won't break the bank.  I don't need the phones to have any internet connectivity or anything else fancy. I just want to be able to make & take phone calls.  In case it matters, we'll be visiting Beijing, Xi'an, and Shanghai.

Any suggestions or pointers?
cyberdiva
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »

Several years ago, my husband bought a new 4-band unlocked GSM phone from a company called Mobal.  It works everywhere.  I think he paid about $40 or $50.  They sent it to him, and it came with a SIM card for England that had an expensive rate but is nice to have "just in case."  He doesn't use that SIM card; as soon as we arrive in a country, my husband buys a SIM card for that country for $5 or $10.  It gives us an in-country phone number and the ability to make calls at the in-country rate, which is usually quite low.  It has worked very well for us.

I can't answer any of your other questions, but you may want to take a look at Mobal's web site: http://www.mobal.com/.
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »

I have an old Nokia 1100w Dual band GSM, (850/1900), that worked fine in Hong Kong.  An old Nokia 6230iw Tri-band, (900/1800/1900), worked fine in Beijing/HK/Russia/EU/Sth Africa, (and should work in the USA).

You can have the Nokia 6230i if you want, I no longer use it - I'd have to send it sans battery, (Auspost rules), but they're the readily available Nokia BL-5C.  Let me know and I'll test it, (hasn't been used for a few months), and wipe the incriminating evidence.  I'll even throw in the 32MB MMC card it came with.

Otherwise, the Kings of Gadgets have you covered smiley

Dual SIM Dual Network Standby Quadband GSM
LCD Screen Quadband GSM Cell Phone with Torch/FM/SOS

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.026s | Server load: 0.03 ]