Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 22, 2014, 06:37:35 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ability to *up*vote a post  (Read 2388 times)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »

I was going to post in another thread, but seeing as this would have been veering even more off-topic than the thread already was, and the thread is about threads veering off-topic, I thought  I'd better start a new one ;-)

I do like the idea of being able to give a post an "up" vote.
A down vote option only encourages colliseum type behaviour (you know, looking for blood etc.), as people have said already. But I often miss the option to give a very casual +1 to a post - good reccomendation, nice retort, whatever.

I wont lose any sleep about this one, and am not even sure it's a good idea, but I still miss it - often enough too.

Tom
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »

I'd upvote this post.
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »

I'd upvote this post.

Grin

Tom
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:25:32 PM »

There are reputation mods for different forums including SMF, I have used them on forums with varying success (members used it meaningfully and not)
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »

^ I don't think so much a reputation mod, but something that you can say that this post is a good post.  It can also help mouser in making the newsletters, bringing attention to posts the community thinks are great.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »

As far as helping me make the newsletters, it's true it would.

However, we already have the ability to mark threads as rated from 1 to 5 stars -- it's just only used for personal use.  You can see the rating menu if you click the word "MARK" on the top right of each thread page.
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »

I suppose you could add social networking features (such as Facebook Like buttons etc.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.027s | Server load: 0.05 ]