ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Auslogics promoting false speed tester?

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I got an email from Auslogics promoting "inKline Global Modem Booster 8: Turbo Charge Your Internet Speed Performance", with a link saying "Test Your Internet Speed>>". I wanted to test my connection again again, so I followed the link and took the test. To my sad surprise the test results were far below the expected, 6 to 9 MB per second (download) in contrast to 25MBps, and also the upload speed was well (bad!) below, 1.5 to 1.9, against 4 MBps. So I ran to both Speedtest.net and my InternetSupplier and tested, and sure enough my actual Internet speed is as my contract has promised me: 26MBps and 3.7MBps!

Please test to see if they also will give you a false, micromized speed test result: http://www.inklineglobal.com/products/modembooster/index.html (scroll a little), and come back here and tell.
 :tellme:

I have written Auslogics and protested, because they're the ones promoting. I don't trust it will help to protest to inKline, do you?

Modem Booster 8 by inKline Global is a proven web acceleration software that can help you dramatically increase your Internet surfing speed.

This means you can boost download, upload and web surfing speed up to 300%, reduce web page and graphics load time, and do a lot more fun stuff online.

Your Internet Speed May Be Slow. Click Below for a 2 Minute Performance Test >>

-inKline promoted by Auslogics
--- End quote ---

Shades:
Increasing TCP packet size will make things download/upload faster. Microsoft is (very) conservative with setting the packet size so the lowest common denominator could still have a stable and reliable connection. If you have professional grade LAN hardware and good cabling, packet size can make quite a difference.

However, with internet connections there are a lot more "points of failure" possible and you will have to find out with trial and (a lot of) error to find the ideal packet size. Generally speaking, more speed means you have to sacrifice stability. For most (including me) this is way more headache than it is worth and personally I place this kind of software in the same corner as registry cleaners. Useless for anyone except your PC repair shop.

Sorry to be so blunt but if one wants more speed, pony up the cash to buy a better connection from your (current) ISP. After that buy hardware that supports jumbo packets (for a better LAN experience).

timns:
Yep, looks to me like they are skewing the results. I should get 50mbps, Speedtest tells me 48.5, the Auslogics thing tells me 10.86  :'(

Or maybe they are routing me to a server based on Pluto (which will always be a planet to me)

Krishean:
They seem to be using this swf file to do their test: http://www.internetfrog.com/speedtest/speedtest.swf and it does not seem to be a very thorough test either. It did show my speed at nearly the correct speed once (40/8) but the results seem to vary widely because of the test not running for long enough.

I also like how they show some of their discount codes directly in the page source, good job  :Thmbsup:

Edit: I just ran the speedtest.net test, and it came up with 58/8, so I guess their test is a little slow...

tomos:
Pluto (which will always be a planet to me)
-timns (March 17, 2012, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

somehow I misread that as always a planet near me...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version