topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Xara Xtreme 5 Giveaway  (Read 19751 times)

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Xara Xtreme 5 Giveaway
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Courtesy of tipradar.com
Xara Xtreme 5

It's not clear to me if this is the same as Photo & Graphic Designer 5 given away last year
Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 5

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Xara Xtreme 5 Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:36 PM »
There are two producst with the same name - one branded Xara the other Magix.

Since Xara was bought by Magix they still sell under different names but they are (AFAICS) the same product.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Xara Xtreme was the product that preceded Photo & Graphic Designer. Xtreme is a very versatile and useful graphic package even in the older version. It's worth downloading IMO.

They now have Web Designer 7 and Photo & Graphic Designer 7. And also their flagship Designer Pro 7 which incorporates the previous two products and adds "pro" features (like: Pantone support, color seps, etc. that would primarily be of interest to professional designers.)

I've got P&G Designer. I really like it.

Note: they're also throwing in 20 free handwriting styled fonts from SoftMaker once you register. You also need to register (free) with SoftMaker to get the download link.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:41 AM »
Download failed, dont know if it's them or me/local (I seem to be having problems here with some sites yesterday & today)

edit/ on Opera it's actually downloading - but at rates that vary between predictions of taking 6 hours up to 14 days ;-)
Tom
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:51 AM by tomos »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:46 AM »
I couldn't even get to the website with Google Chrome! Opera got me there and download was fine.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52 AM »
I couldn't even get to the website with Google Chrome! Opera got me there and download was fine.
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2012, 04:46 AM)

thanks Carol

edit/ on Opera it's actually downloading - but at rates that vary between predictions of taking 6 hours up to 14 days ;-)
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:00 AM »
Downloaded it and installed it (mainly because I am curious about the fonts as I already have Xara Design Pro). The font download only appears the second time you launch the app after registering.

The key supplied is a trial key (it doesn't even appear in your registered products on Xara's website so keep a copy because you can't retrieve it later) - but it is a permanent unlock for the download. The program always starts with a splash screen to upgrade.

Not seen this sort of thing with Xara before but I suppose it at least gives you a taster.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:48 AM »
I have keys for 16 (older) products from Magix and Xara (Xara Designer Pro 6 being my newest) - yet I don't have any of them installed. My beef with this twin company is that even though their programs really are fine, they speak in a language that I quite often don't understand. In order to use these programs to their max, you will have to watch / read a lot of instructions, AND then even use your imagination to maybe translate back from English to the original German and back into your kind of English (??)! Yes, I often got the feeling that the translator didn't know the subject and just used some generalizing phrases "in that area".

If you take the offer and later find your inbox pested with spam, go find the proper way to unsubscribe - it works.

Another beef is of course that they never informed me that I already had the program I was buying, but with a different name (Magix Xtreme Web Designer was part of Xara Designer Pro)! But I guess they were too busy laughing all the way to the bank.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:23 AM »
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2012, 04:46 AM)

Downloaded it for my GF yesterday using her laptop (FF 10.0.2/Win7-64). Downloaded on home ASDL link with no problems. Took about 10 minutes front to back.

The key supplied is a trial key (it doesn't even appear in your registered products on Xara's website so keep a copy because you can't retrieve it later) - but it is a permanent unlock for the download. The program always starts with a splash screen to upgrade.

Not seen this sort of thing with Xara before but I suppose it at least gives you a taster.
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2012, 05:00 AM)

That is weird for them but I guess everybody's getting that way. I wanted to check on them not letting you re-download your trial S/N but there appears to be a problem with their support site this morning. Won't open to the page at all on FF. And IE and Opera can't get past the login prompt on the support page. The page is trying to load something and never completes it. Maybe Xara got a little too fancy with their scripts or HTML5 recently. It did work two weeks ago.
 :huh:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44 AM »
I just noticed this:

Note you can also upgrade to Xara Designer Pro 7 for only $199, a saving 30% from the standard retail price of $299.

-Xara

(-after registering this giveaway version.)

A better link:
http://giveaway.down...er/xara_xtreme/27260

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:47 AM by Curt, Reason: link »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:10 PM »
In order to use these programs to their max, you will have to watch / read a lot of instructions, AND then even use your imagination to maybe translate back from English to the original German and back into your kind of English (??)!

Xara are still based in Little Gaddesden in Hertfordshire so their English should still be good! Magix is based in Germany but all the Xara titles are produced in the UK.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Do you know if it has to be installed/registered within the remaining download time ?
(1 day & 03:42 as I write)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 03:30 PM »
-it doesn't say. But I think it is hinted:

How To Get Your Serial Code

To unlock Xara Xtreme 5 you must click "Register immediately online" in the Welcome splash screen which appears on first launch. A browser window will then open at the registration page; follow the instructions, and you'll be emailed an "unlock code". Copy this into the Welcome screen, click Start Program and your full licensed copy of Xara Xtreme 5 will launch.

Offer Expires: in...01:03:28:13

I don't expect emails after the expiration.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Hi Folks,

They used to be on the Brit PC magazines a lot.
This net stuff might be fairly new, although there is a mention of at least one giveaway earlier.  

Anyway, looks good to me.  Sound company, solid software, permanent license,(if you get by the reggie issues),  no good competitors on my system, perfect price.

Steven
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:28 AM by Steven Avery »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 06:10 AM »
If you want to go for version 6 Xara have a stock clearance:

Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6: For just £19.99 (previously £69) or click  here for $24.99 US.

(This is effectectively Xara Xtreme 6 - they had a name change between 5 and 6).

Offer ends 26th March.

The above links are a straight links to the page - if you click this link I get a few cents affiliate commission!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:41 PM by Carol Haynes »

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Another Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6 giveaway, expire midday Monday December 31, 2012.

Download Crew Giveaway

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 02:35 AM »
Another Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6 giveaway, expire midday Monday December 31, 2012. Download Crew Giveaway
2012-12-31_093434.gif

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 06:27 AM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34 AM »
It's a decent product. I've been using one version or another (Starting with X1 and currently P&Gv7) and I've been quite happy with Xara. The 'Pro' edition can get a little pricey ($299) - but if you're not doing print and don't need separations or Pantone matching, you won't miss anything in it except maybe multi-core support.

If you don't have a draw/paint hybrid app like Canvas - or you tried GIMP and Inkscape and didn't care for them, Xara will do ya!

Can't beat the price. And it qualifies you for upgrade pricing down the road. They do send occasional marketing e-mails. But they're good about it (once every 4-6 weeks) so it doesn't hammer your inbox.

Worth downloading if you need this sort of app. 8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Free Xara Xtreme 5!
Offer ends 29th April 2013.

• not sure if it has to be installed before that time (anyone know?)
  • presumably it will work on x64 (Requirements: >Microsoft® Windows® XP | Vista® | 7 | 8)
  • download is called Xara_Xtreme_5_Silver.exe
Tom

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20 PM »
Free Xara Xtreme 5!
Offer ends 29th April 2013.

• not sure if it has to be installed before that time (anyone know?)
  • presumably it will work on x64 (Requirements: >Microsoft® Windows® XP | Vista® | 7 | 8)
  • download is called Xara_Xtreme_5_Silver.exe

Thanks. Got the installer and the license, I just hope it will register after the indicated date too.
.merle1.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 02:15 PM »
FAQ's say:

How do I unlock/install Xara Xtreme 5?
Just run the download and follow the  prompts. You will be asked to register (best to use your existing account if you have one) and sent a serial number.  If you have any problems please visit our product installation and account queries troubleshooter for full step by step instructions.

I presume that means: will have to install-register before 29th (but that the serial works after that date for reinstall if necessary)
Tom

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Well not exactly : I installed it within sandboxie, got to the webpage to get the license. Then I erased the sandbox.  So the app is not installed and I have a valid license, but if online activation is required, they may forbid it after April 29th.
.merle1.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Well not exactly : I installed it within sandboxie, got to the webpage to get the license. Then I erased the sandbox.  So the app is not installed and I have a valid license, but if online activation is required, they may forbid it after April 29th.

Another from the FAQ's:

Why are you giving me a free Xara Xtreme 5?
There are still tens of thousands of people using very old versions of Xara X, X1 and Xtreme 2,3 and 4, which are recorded, downloaded and unlocked (if you've lost your CD) through some very old systems. That is a problem for our customer support and network support staff.  We would really prefer that you were using a more up to date version, so we are simply offering you one for free!

Which makes it sound like future installs would *probably* not be a problem.
Tom

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Throughout last year Xara Xtreme 5 came up on giveaways at least once every two months, sometimes more.
I am pretty certain it came up several times the year before as well.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi