Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 21, 2014, 05:34:42 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: build website  (Read 1798 times)
kalos

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »

hello

I want to create a website easily (using a template)

PS: my webhosting does not support any kind of database

what you suggest me to do?

thanks!
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »

Um, you pretty much answered your own question...

You should use a template (Easily found online) Example

Secondly...Get a new website host...who the hell offers website hosting with no database installations? - There are more than plenty that do, and are absolutely free smiley

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
skwire
Charter Member

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »

I know some folks will scoff at the idea of a database-less CMS but, if it's a small-ish site, you can always use something like FlatPress.  That's what I use for my Skwire Empire site.

Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »

I know some folks will scoff at the idea of a database-less Flat File Database CMS but, if it's a small-ish site, you can always use something like FlatPress.  That's what I use for my Skwire Empire site.

Thar...fixed your post tongue

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

FlatPress is a good option in my opinion but I wouldn't go for flat files because of a host, for other reasons like preference or needs sure but not because of a host.
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »

FlatPress is a good option in my opinion but I wouldn't go for flat files because of a host, for other reasons like preference or needs sure but not because of a host.

Agreed

Even if you like your host and dont want to move, there are quite a few sites that will give you free Databases with remote access that you can use for websites.

db90h
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Member

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »

Are you absolutely sure your host does not offer a shared database for its shared hosts? I have never heard of a host not offering one.
kalos

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:16:39 AM »

yes, this is what I need I think, a flat-database CMS

any complete list of them?
db90h
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Member

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:36:13 AM »

To run a CMS on a database backed by a flat file format (what you are talking about) does incur performance penalties and is restrictive, less robust, and less secure.
Shades

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 06:54:52 AM »

Hey...at least such a setup is easy to backup.  tongue

kalos

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »

Get a new website host...who the hell offers website hosting with no database installations? - There are more than plenty that do, and are absolutely free smiley

can you suggest me one? I already have mydomain.com in a specific nameserver

ofcourse without any kind of ads or other things like that, or downtimes, etc, it must be totally professional
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »

Get a new website host...who the hell offers website hosting with no database installations? - There are more than plenty that do, and are absolutely free smiley

can you suggest me one? I already have mydomain.com in a specific nameserver

ofcourse without any kind of ads or other things like that, or downtimes, etc, it must be totally professional

I could mention several, but due to never using any free hosts myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending anyone.

However, The two most prominent are: www.webs.com and www.moonfruit.com - Webs.com is not ad-free (For free hosting) but I am pretty sure moonfruit Is.

www.freehostia.com seems to be pretty high on the list of known free-hosts as well, however, I am being lazy and cannot be bothered checking if they have ad's or not smiley

NB: I have never used Webs.com, Moonfruit.com or Freehostiw.com so cannot possibly recommend either of them on any other merit than they are the three names that I recognize the most.

Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »

moonfruit free seems to include branding.

If you don't mind paying a little nativespace.co.uk are very good (start at £3.11+VAT per month). I have a VPS with them and they are very helpful - their support is excellent. You get a complete CPanel package with 2 MySQL databases for that. First month free if you pay annually.

CPanel includes one click installation of most major CMSes (Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal etc.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.042s | Server load: 0.16 ]