ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A change I've seen in the forum

<< < (9/11) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
I've noticed this change or shift in attitude also, and not just in this forum.  I can't explain it, i've asked others about it, i don't get it.  There does seem to have been a change in mood or attitude or something in the last couple of years.
-superboyac (March 16, 2012, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm seeing a lot more anger most places I'm looking.

People seem to get angry much more easily than they used to, and stay angry a lot longer once they do.
-40hz (March 16, 2012, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

This, definitely.  And people seem to have less tolerance for dissenting opinions, or even discussion of those positions.

I like a good debate of positions.  But have been getting less of that, because at the end, it seems that there is more anger at than appreciation of differences.  Sad.
-wraith808 (March 16, 2012, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Less Tolerance? WHO HAS LESS TOLERANCE? I DON'T HAVE LESS TOLERANCE AND I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU AND HATE YOU FOR YOUR OPINION AND NOW WANT TO GO OUT AND COMMIT GENOCIDE AND SHOOT MYSELF IN THE LEFT KNEECAP AND DO SOME OTHER CRAZY STUFF...

;D

No "Economic" things could cause me to be any less random and chilled out! - Why let this shit get you down...

I think the world just needs to get its priorities in order  :D

J-Mac:
I don’t really think the economy is affecting the posts. To be honest I think I am seeing a lot more contentious topics started, and they naturally tend to draw out our most divided opinions.

Seriously, I can't remember so many threads here about privacy rights, including Google's, Facebook's, and other sites' privacy policy changes, the whole Occupy Wall Street movement, software and media piracy and MAFIAA, Wikileaks, all the ebook woes, fraud of various types, Lulsec/Anonymous...  Really, when has there been more of these kinds of topics before the last year and a half to two years? These threads are almost guaranteed to bring out the feistiest in DC'ers! It used to be more about Linux v. Windows v. MacOS, home theater recommendations, etc.

Let's face it: If the topics are more volatile, then so will the opinions/posts go.

Thanks!

Jim

40hz:
Let's face it: If the topics are more volatile, then so will the opinions/posts go.
-J-Mac (March 16, 2012, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

And also as the stakes go up. Because let's face it, most of these 'volatile' topics are of considerably much more importance that locking horns over the relative merits of two competing operating systems.

Despite some of the contention (and occasional acrimony) over these topics, I personally consider them some of the most important discussions ever conducted here. Because these are issues that go right to the root of what we consider are our personal freedoms and responsibilities.

I'm very impressed at how well these threads have gone despite the obvious and largely irreconcilable differences between some of us here at DC. I think the entire community deserves to take a bow for not allowing things to degenerate into out and out acrimony and name calling like it has in many places - including (in the USA at least) the halls of government.

When I was in college I was forced to take a theology course. Most of us in it didn't want to be there. One person in my class on the very first day called out the crusty old Jesuit who was teaching the course. She asked him what was the point of studying theology if you weren't a believer. She claimed to be an atheist - and wanted to know why the university was wasting it's time trying to maker her a believer.

The instructor regarded her with a friendly smile and replied: We're not out to make you anything in this class. You should feel perfectly free to remain firm in your disbelief. Just as Christians are free to remain Christians; Jews free to remain Jewish; Muslims to remain Muslims; Buddhists to remain Buddhists; and those of the Craft to go in The Lady's name.

But in this class, the one thing you will NOT be allowed to remain is an ignorant and narrow-minded sectarian.

It turned out to be a very enlightening course. When it was over, despite there being some occasional discomfort when cherished and  personal belief systems were put up for discussion and debate, we all agreed it was a worthwhile experience. Because it expanded our outlooks and clarified what was important to each of us.

I think volatile discussions at DC accomplish much the same thing as that course. You might not be able to reach consensus in a discussion. But at least you develop a broader understanding and appreciation of opposing viewpoints. And with luck, a greater clarity regarding your own.
 :)

iphigenie:
Having managed an SMF forum for a group of people that got very comfortable with each other and where this was a common issue, I can confirm that SMF has beautiful split/merge options so it might be possible to spin off new topics from the part that goes on a diagonal, hence keeping the original topic available for continuation.It's tricky if done too late, but it an can work quite well. But it's *work*

As someone who often comes to a topic a day or two late and wants to add my contribution, I often feel a bit odd when I read the topic, find that what I have to say is still relevant, but that on page 2 the topic veered off. I never know whether to post or not when it happens, dont want to be a party pooper derailing the derailment. So sometimes I do post, sometimes I don't

Renegade:

Seriously, I can't remember so many threads here about privacy rights, including Google's, Facebook's, and other sites' privacy policy changes, the whole Occupy Wall Street movement, software and media piracy and MAFIAA, Wikileaks, all the ebook woes, fraud of various types, Lulsec/Anonymous...  Really, when has there been more of these kinds of topics before the last year and a half to two years? These threads are almost guaranteed to bring out the feistiest in DC'ers! It used to be more about Linux v. Windows v. MacOS, home theater recommendations, etc.

-J-Mac (March 16, 2012, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

There has been so much happening in these areas that it's almost inevitable.

I have some very specific beliefs on why all of this is, but I don't think this is the place to bring them out. I prefer to keep most of those conversations in-person at the moment.

Despite some of the contention (and occasional acrimony) over these topics, I personally consider them some of the most important discussions ever conducted here. Because these are issues that go right to the root of what we consider are our personal freedoms and responsibilities.

I'm very impressed at how well these threads have gone despite the obvious and largely irreconcilable differences between some of us here at DC. I think the entire community deserves to take a bow for not allowing things to degenerate into out and out acrimony and name calling like it has in many places - including (in the USA at least) the halls of government.

-40hz (March 16, 2012, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version