topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: A change I've seen in the forum  (Read 28307 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A change I've seen in the forum
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 04:24 AM »
I personally prefer 20 lashes.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 04:43 AM »
Well I have ready solution for controlling the 'off topic' messages.

Give a link 'Off topic' at bottom of each message, beside 'Report to moderator', which will notify the moderator, who will check and make the message 'yellowish' or something, so that everyone knows it from the rest. Just like inserted ads in search results.

Then ones who do not like it will skip it or give it a glance. It will also make the poster of the message to be more on the topic next time.

Regards,

Anand

And who will make such a determination? Sounds like this would make it very subjective as well as exclusionary.

I vote   :down:  on this one!

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 04:45 AM »
I personally prefer 20 lashes.

:)  ;D  Yeah - but some might actually like this more!  LOL!  (This one should be worth a good pic! Or is that too OT?!)

Jim

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27 AM »
Well I have ready solution for controlling the 'off topic' messages.

Give a link 'Off topic' at bottom of each message, beside 'Report to moderator', which will notify the moderator, who will check and make the message 'yellowish' or something, so that everyone knows it from the rest. Just like inserted ads in search results.

Then ones who do not like it will skip it or give it a glance. It will also make the poster of the message to be more on the topic next time.

Regards,

Anand

Not really a great idea... Extra work for the site admin? Nope.

What *could* work is a vote up/down button with a threshold below which the post becomes hidden and you need to click it for it to become visible again, just like the spoiler tags.

That system is in place in other forums/BBs elsewhere, and it seems to work well.

But more work for the admins? Nah. The community is generally the best at policing itself.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 08:02 AM »
I really don't like the whole concept of voting on posts unless they're direct responses to technical questions such that they become the equivalent of an "I will confirm that" comment.

I also think if you feel strongly enough about some comment to give it a thumbs down, you at least owe the original poster the courtesy of saying why. If it's a situation where the person is flaming or trolling (or just being a generally obnoxious) I think that sort of correction is something best left to the moderators if it's needed.

My 2¢ anyway.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Yeah i don't think we need any new systems or rules or voting, we just need to ask everyone to be mindful of not dragging threads off topic, and to try to mindful of how their posts might appear to new visitors, since a forum like ours needs a healthy number of new participants on a regular basis to keep things fresh and interesting.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 12:12 PM »
I suppose if you want to be vicious you could enable SMF Karma  :-*

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 01:16 PM »
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2012, 12:12 PM)

That will cause nothing but problems IMHO, seen it happen on too many forums :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 03:14 PM »

-Stephen66515 (March 16, 2012, 01:16 PM)

+1 :Thmbsup:

I've stopped going to two sites I used to like because of what happened once they implemented Karma.

I'll probably stop coming here too if Karma ever shows up. 8)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 03:18 PM »

-Stephen66515 (March 16, 2012, 01:16 PM)

+1 :Thmbsup:

I've stopped going to two sites I used to like because of what happened once they implemented Karma.

I'll probably stop coming here too if Karma ever shows up. 8)

I won't stop coming, but it will certainly stop me from wanting to post.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 03:22 PM »
We already had that discussion and decided that the karma type stuff (where you rate people up or down) was not in keeping with the spirit of the site.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I've noticed this change or shift in attitude also, and not just in this forum.  I can't explain it, i've asked others about it, i don't get it.  There does seem to have been a change in mood or attitude or something in the last couple of years.  The only thing i can really trace it to is the economy stuff that started in 2008.  Maybe it cracked people out of their happy-go-lucky shells.  I know I've changed a whole bunch since then, but I also entered my 30s around the same time, so some people tell me it's my pre-mid-life crisis.

So yeah, I've noticed a change.  i just don't know if it's a personal change that has painted what I see with my own eyes differently, or if it's an external change that is independent of me.  Maybe the Mayans were right!  Nobody has real basements in LA, what's up with that?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 04:18 PM »
I've noticed this change or shift in attitude also, and not just in this forum.  I can't explain it, i've asked others about it, i don't get it.  There does seem to have been a change in mood or attitude or something in the last couple of years.

I'm seeing a lot more anger most places I'm looking.

People seem to get angry much more easily than they used to, and stay angry a lot longer once they do.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 05:02 PM »
I've noticed this change or shift in attitude also, and not just in this forum.  I can't explain it, i've asked others about it, i don't get it.  There does seem to have been a change in mood or attitude or something in the last couple of years.

People seem to get angry much more easily than they used to, and stay angry a lot longer once they do.

This, definitely.  And people seem to have less tolerance for dissenting opinions, or even discussion of those positions.

I like a good debate of positions.  But have been getting less of that, because at the end, it seems that there is more anger at than appreciation of differences.  Sad.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Sorry for the confusion - I was being sarcastic about the idea of enabling Karma. I certainly wouldn't want that!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 06:42 PM »
I've noticed this change or shift in attitude also, and not just in this forum.  I can't explain it, i've asked others about it, i don't get it.  There does seem to have been a change in mood or attitude or something in the last couple of years.

This, definitely.  And people seem to have less tolerance for dissenting opinions, or even discussion of those positions.

I like a good debate of positions.  But have been getting less of that, because at the end, it seems that there is more anger at than appreciation of differences.  Sad.

Less Tolerance? WHO HAS LESS TOLERANCE? I DON'T HAVE LESS TOLERANCE AND I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU AND HATE YOU FOR YOUR OPINION AND NOW WANT TO GO OUT AND COMMIT GENOCIDE AND SHOOT MYSELF IN THE LEFT KNEECAP AND DO SOME OTHER CRAZY STUFF...

;D

No "Economic" things could cause me to be any less random and chilled out! - Why let this shit get you down...

I think the world just needs to get its priorities in order  :D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 09:40 PM »
I don’t really think the economy is affecting the posts. To be honest I think I am seeing a lot more contentious topics started, and they naturally tend to draw out our most divided opinions.

Seriously, I can't remember so many threads here about privacy rights, including Google's, Facebook's, and other sites' privacy policy changes, the whole Occupy Wall Street movement, software and media piracy and MAFIAA, Wikileaks, all the ebook woes, fraud of various types, Lulsec/Anonymous...  Really, when has there been more of these kinds of topics before the last year and a half to two years? These threads are almost guaranteed to bring out the feistiest in DC'ers! It used to be more about Linux v. Windows v. MacOS, home theater recommendations, etc.

Let's face it: If the topics are more volatile, then so will the opinions/posts go.

Thanks!

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Let's face it: If the topics are more volatile, then so will the opinions/posts go.

And also as the stakes go up. Because let's face it, most of these 'volatile' topics are of considerably much more importance that locking horns over the relative merits of two competing operating systems.

Despite some of the contention (and occasional acrimony) over these topics, I personally consider them some of the most important discussions ever conducted here. Because these are issues that go right to the root of what we consider are our personal freedoms and responsibilities.

I'm very impressed at how well these threads have gone despite the obvious and largely irreconcilable differences between some of us here at DC. I think the entire community deserves to take a bow for not allowing things to degenerate into out and out acrimony and name calling like it has in many places - including (in the USA at least) the halls of government.

When I was in college I was forced to take a theology course. Most of us in it didn't want to be there. One person in my class on the very first day called out the crusty old Jesuit who was teaching the course. She asked him what was the point of studying theology if you weren't a believer. She claimed to be an atheist - and wanted to know why the university was wasting it's time trying to maker her a believer.

The instructor regarded her with a friendly smile and replied: We're not out to make you anything in this class. You should feel perfectly free to remain firm in your disbelief. Just as Christians are free to remain Christians; Jews free to remain Jewish; Muslims to remain Muslims; Buddhists to remain Buddhists; and those of the Craft to go in The Lady's name.

But in this class, the one thing you will NOT be allowed to remain is an ignorant and narrow-minded sectarian.

It turned out to be a very enlightening course. When it was over, despite there being some occasional discomfort when cherished and  personal belief systems were put up for discussion and debate, we all agreed it was a worthwhile experience. Because it expanded our outlooks and clarified what was important to each of us.

I think volatile discussions at DC accomplish much the same thing as that course. You might not be able to reach consensus in a discussion. But at least you develop a broader understanding and appreciation of opposing viewpoints. And with luck, a greater clarity regarding your own.
 :)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 12:05 AM »
Having managed an SMF forum for a group of people that got very comfortable with each other and where this was a common issue, I can confirm that SMF has beautiful split/merge options so it might be possible to spin off new topics from the part that goes on a diagonal, hence keeping the original topic available for continuation.It's tricky if done too late, but it an can work quite well. But it's *work*

As someone who often comes to a topic a day or two late and wants to add my contribution, I often feel a bit odd when I read the topic, find that what I have to say is still relevant, but that on page 2 the topic veered off. I never know whether to post or not when it happens, dont want to be a party pooper derailing the derailment. So sometimes I do post, sometimes I don't

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 01:25 AM »

Seriously, I can't remember so many threads here about privacy rights, including Google's, Facebook's, and other sites' privacy policy changes, the whole Occupy Wall Street movement, software and media piracy and MAFIAA, Wikileaks, all the ebook woes, fraud of various types, Lulsec/Anonymous...  Really, when has there been more of these kinds of topics before the last year and a half to two years? These threads are almost guaranteed to bring out the feistiest in DC'ers! It used to be more about Linux v. Windows v. MacOS, home theater recommendations, etc.

There has been so much happening in these areas that it's almost inevitable.

I have some very specific beliefs on why all of this is, but I don't think this is the place to bring them out. I prefer to keep most of those conversations in-person at the moment.

Despite some of the contention (and occasional acrimony) over these topics, I personally consider them some of the most important discussions ever conducted here. Because these are issues that go right to the root of what we consider are our personal freedoms and responsibilities.

I'm very impressed at how well these threads have gone despite the obvious and largely irreconcilable differences between some of us here at DC. I think the entire community deserves to take a bow for not allowing things to degenerate into out and out acrimony and name calling like it has in many places - including (in the USA at least) the halls of government.

+1

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 05:37 AM »
Yep, I'm in agreement with the topic importance theme. Windows vs Mac vs Linux is fairly well settled these days. Windows 7 is a credible successor to XP, having fixed up the Vista Core, Mac OS is its usual solid self with aggressive obsolescence of hardware, Linux is the Third Rail of the other two. So folks will bounce along those three, etc.

It's hard to pin down a date,  so I see it as a bit of a year span, but I'll suggest 1999's Napster following upon 1998's DMCA leading into April 2001's despair of the Dot Com crash and 2001's 9-11 2002's  as about the start of it all, I followed the articles on the fall of Napster, but it still needed a couple of years to brew all the evil.

For me that brewing occurred because of the *military* oppression structure that Bush kicked into gear, basically creating a new (and bad) model of government. However there wasn't exactly anything "flashfire" that would get you in trouble from the Airport screenings, not universally. They'd take your baby's juice away but you wouldn't go bankrupt from it.

The Copyright thing is a sort of Lord of the Rings Sauron Eye. "Oh, are you using a computer for what it was supposed to do? Gasp, did you copy a picture? $125,000 lawsuit for you!"

So as smart tech folks, we are trying to rise to the challenge, call us the kids of the Science Fiction Age who grew up with the warning stories, so we're trying to put a few resources in place before they complete the total locks at the end/setting of those stories.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2012, 07:24 AM »

And also as the stakes go up. Because let's face it, most of these 'volatile' topics are of considerably much more importance that locking horns over the relative merits of two competing operating systems.

Oh, I agree completely, 40hz!

I wasn't complaining about these types of topics; I was just positing that the increase (at least as I perceive) in them may be one reason that many posts have become a bit more angry-sounding. Of course that doesn't address the veering off-topic of some threads, but it might I think it does contribute to the general "heat" of a lot of posts here in the "Living Room" as of late.   :)

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 08:26 AM »
@J-Mac: didn't think you were complaining for a minute. I agreed with you and was adding to your points. (Isn't discussion a great thing?) ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 01:05 PM »
Discussion are Yummy! And we are doing well, I don't see many "stupid troll" posts.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2012, 06:16 PM »
So as smart tech folks, we are trying to rise to the challenge, call us the kids of the Science Fiction Age who grew up with the warning stories, so we're trying to put a few resources in place before they complete the total locks at the end/setting of those stories.

+1

Somewhere in my parent's house there's an old, tattered copy of Fahrenheit 451, a worn in copy of Brave New World, etc. etc. They were supposed to be, like you said, "warnings", and not textbooks on how to do it.

If you think back about those warnings, you can see that today we have so much of those things in reality now. Sure, "Soma" looks a bit different in reality, but it's still Soma. The book burnings don't use fire to destroy and hide ideas, but we still have it in one form or another.

We just need more people to wake up and see it.