ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Quietly brilliant products you might not have known you needed

<< < (4/4)

40hz:
I guess there will always be people who quite literally do not care and will steal whatever they want.
-IainB (March 12, 2012, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
My GF works for the state social service. She maintains that the word "entitled" is the most dangerous and corrosive word in the American-English dictionary. The ever more widespread attitude that says: "I'm entitled..." is what is destroying most of what America used to be about.
She could be right. :'(
-40hz (March 12, 2012, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that's a bit off-topic, but I'll follow it anyway, if you don't mind: the state social services probably spawned the ubiquitous cliché term "entitlement" in the first place, with phrases such as, for example, "Your unemployment benefits entitlement".
Admittedly it's from a distant and relatively ignorant perspective, but my take on things is that "what America used to be about" has arguably already been destroyed anyway - or maybe just bent and twisted out of all recognition is all.    :o

Going back to topic ...
-IainB (March 13, 2012, 01:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW I think you missed all of the nuance; along with a good bit of the point in her comment. Understandable. You don't live here.   :) 8)

IainB:
FWIW I think you missed all of the nuance; along with most of the point in her comment. Understandable. You don't live here.  8)
-40hz (March 13, 2012, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Eh? Oh, sorry if I missed the nuance and point.
I was just:

* (a) Supposing that the likely originators of the "corrosive" cliché ("entitled/entitlement") were people in the social services in some part of the world - though your GF did not suggest that, nor do I have any proof to substantiate my supposition. So it's a supposed irony, you see.
* (b) At the same drawing a distinction between the present continuous of the verb ("is destroying most of what America used to be about") and the past tense of the transitive verb ("has destroyed most of what America used to be about").So I was really just emphasising and agreeing with what your GF said in the first point re "entitled", and suggesting in the second point that the situation could be much worse in fact than your GF may think. A bit depressing really.

My brain hurts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version