ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon pulls thousands of e-books... and the SFWA strikes back

<< < (4/4)

40hz:
What is the effect of it though?
Presumably you can buy any book title you want in the US, but just not those from certain publishers?
-IainB (March 03, 2012, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

In Penguin's case IIRC they had a separate company which handled US distribution and registered their copyrights for the US. That was to make it easier (i.e. U.S. incorporated subsidiary in a US court) to handle legalities. I don't think it ever had anything to do with banning or regulating what got read here. It as just a "business thing." Much like the region settings for DVDs. Who knows? Maybe they got better legal protections doing it that way since international business wasn't as commonplace back then as it is now.

iphigenie:
That's a good thing if it brings more publishers and authors to put their books in more channels than Amazon.

I don't/won't have a Kindle (or an iphone etc.) because of the central control of what is/can be put on my device (and DRM) so it can be pretty limiting at times because so many things are on amazon/kindle and nowhere else. Hopefully publishers will realise it is not safe for them to be at the mercy of just one retailer... and I'll have more choice

Not that I manage to read all that find within my limits anyway... but hey...

TaoPhoenix:
PResumably if it is not in the public domain in the US then you can't sell it as though it was - which seems fair enough.

Sooner or later someone will have to sort out the broken copyright laws - we live in a global marketplace now and one set of agreed rules should apply. It would be good to have a new set of rules drawn up - preferably without US media interests being the dominant force!
-Carol Haynes (March 03, 2012, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

We do need a rational, fair, and unified international copyright law. Desperately.

But I think we'll see cheap and abundant fusion energy deployed globally, war abolished, and hunger and disease completely eliminated before we see a copyright law like that.

-40hz (March 03, 2012, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm starting to dread we'll see cheap gasoline abolished, the Copyright War deployed globally, and food and medical care completely eliminated!  :o

Carol Haynes:
I'm starting to dread we'll see cheap gasoline abolished
-TaoPhoenix (March 05, 2012, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Already happened in Europe!! I am currently paying £1.44 (UKP) per litre (that is $2.29US a liter or $8.67US per US gallon, £6.55 (UKP) per UK gallon).

Parts of Europe are even more expensive.

IainB:
Odd that Penguin are doing this:
Penguin Pointlessly Annoys Readers With USB-Only eBooks

I can't see the point of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version