ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to become Admin' for real?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Shades:
"No room for more" means either that there are no more (SATA) connectors on your mainboard, your PC case has no room to fit another disk or your power supply cannot handle the load of an extra hard disk anymore.

My money would be on the first option.

However, it is possible to buy a drive with the biggest capacity your budget allows. Download freeware (Paragorn, HDClone etc.) to transfer the complete content of one of your current drives to the new one. Disconnect the drive that you don't want to copy and connect the new drive in its place. Boot from the media created by the freeware and verify you copy correctly(!!!) and then initiate the copy.

After that is finished, which can take quite some time (depending on a lot of speed factors (SATA controller, amount of content etc.)), disconnect the original drive and reconnect the previously disconnected drive. You should notice a small speed increase as the new hard disk will be (slightly) faster than the drive it replaced. When you open the drive management software from Windows you will notice that there is a lot of room left to make (a) new partition(s) or expand the one(s) you already have.

"Rinse-and-repeat" for the other 500GB drive and your PC should be able to store 6 TB of data if your budget allows you to buy 2 3TB drives, of course.

The above procedure is quite simple but do it with a clear mind, because you can seriously mess up if you do one step wrong. Relatively easy procedures makes a mind wander/complacent and that is the moment Murphy is waiting on to strike your data dead cold.   

Curt:
-most interesting.

---------------------

rest deleted. I am tired and going to bed now.

4wd:
"No room for more" means either that there are no more (SATA) connectors on your mainboard, your PC case has no room to fit another disk or your power supply cannot handle the load of an extra hard disk anymore.

My money would be on the first option.-Shades (March 15, 2012, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think you'll collect :)

MS-7379VP = MSI G31 based motherboard which all have 4 SATA-II ports.

Being a mini-tower case it's more likely to be lack of space or the PSU doesn't have a spare SATA power plug, (which can be remedied).

The FUJITSU SIEMENS Scaleo Pi2680 shows as having two 5.25" bays, if only one is occupied then another HDD can be installed in the other using a pair of mounting adapters, then just plug it in and use it for the data drive.

Shades:
@4wd:
Crap, my comment was made without that the system specs (from where did you those?)

Curt:
-answer to Shades and others:

Send some info of your PC! - DonationCoder.com-Curt's PC
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version