ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to become Admin' for real?

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
I remember this from when I first started using Vista, but back then I installed a certain application and, voila! I was the boss of my own computer. Now I am in a similar situation again. This time on Windows 7. "You do not have the right to save this picture at this location. Will you like to save it to the Pictures folder instead?". Such a question can make me go ballistic; is this my computer or does it belong to someone else?!!

Please help me to become boss of my own computer!  :tellme:

also:
1) Must I LEAVE the (none-existent) home-group? It gives me all kind of warnings when I start trying to leave ("no print!", etcetera), so I don't dare! I never started a home-group, so how did it evolve? I don't understand the home-group layout; has the very concept of a private, single user been cancelled?
2) How can shortcuts apparently be situated in "Public", when there is no such location?

Maybe there is a program that will automate the "become the single user Admin' of your Win 7 PC" process?

Shades:
By enabling the Administrator account in Windows 7?

Easy enough to do, but that still does not comply with what you want to become.

Home-Groups are enabled by default and you will find that leaving it will work in your benefit. See what Fred Langa writes about that on the 'Windows Secrets' website (pressed for time, so no link).

Symbolic links are your other problem. These can make your life a lot easier and harder at the same time. Easier when you know why and when you should be using those, and harder when you don't.

nite_monkey:
I had the permissions problem also, but ever since I disabled the UAC, I now own my computer again, and I can save files anywhere I want.

jacquesrober:
There is also a free program called:"Take ownership". It will install in the context menu and will really take ownership on anything you point it at. Do it only once, but a warning from the site: do not take ownership of the whole C drive.

tomos:
I had none of these problem with a standalone machine.

Possibly because of my settings (?) -
After a bit of discussion I took the advice in this thread -
I run an admin account and have UAC cranked up to the highest level.

I also have machine setup so I dont have to add the password at all - but I'd have to say that is dangerous - I almost forgot it once and still havent backed it up properly :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version