ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

MAFIAA's unintended consequences? - e.g., Pirate Box

(1/3) > >>

IainB:
When faced with having to share their environment with something that seems too archaic/greedy/hostile for a peaceful coexistence, humans can sometimes demonstrate a non-agressive and remarkably intelligent adaptability. I think this could be an example:
PirateBox Takes File-Sharing Off The Radar and Offline, For Next To Nothing
--- End quote ---

KynloStephen66515:
Yo Dawg. We heard you like torrents, so we put a torrent in your torrent so you can torrent while you torrent.
--- End quote ---

;D

IainB:
Yo Dawg. We heard you like torrents, so we put a torrent in your torrent so you can torrent while you torrent.
--- End quote ---
;D
-Stephen66515 (March 12, 2012, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, it does seem a bit like that, doesn't it?
I think I generally understand the concept of torrents, and also the concept of "magnet-only" links which technology now apparently supersedes torrents at ThePirateBay. However, I have never actually used a torrent or magnet link to download anything.

The technology certainly seems to be in a dynamic state of change though, that's for sure - apparently under the external stimuli from threats of and actual police action. Pirate Box will probably be made illegal too, though it could be a tricky one to police effectively.

KynloStephen66515:
The problem facing charges against places like the PirateBay, is that .torrent files themselves are NOT illegal, and in fact, many respected developers (Mainly games as they are large files) use them so their community can take the bulk of the bandwidth required to host such large files, and receive such massive amounts of download requests (Doing so can greatly reduce hosting costs).

40hz:
torrent files themselves are NOT illegal
-Stephen66515 (March 12, 2012, 02:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not yet anyway.  ;D

I just think this is going to accelerate what I see as a commitment on the part of governments and major industry hardware, software, and media providers to switch everyone over to walled-garden computing environments.

I firmly believe we are witnessing the first moves in the dance that will bring about the end of our present age of unrestricted and open personal computing.

You have been warned!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version